Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

19" monitor with 1680x1050 res.

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm in the market for a new monitor.

Currently i'm using some CMV CT-720D 17" monitor or something. I'm planning on moving to a 19-22"

Anyway, I mostly use my computer for gaming, so when I saw a 19" monitor with a 1680x1050 resolution (The 'standard' for a 22"), I thought "That will give great picture quality", due to the superior amount of pixels in the smaller space, compared to most 19" monitors.

I also noticed that these 19" monitors (over here at least) cost about the same as a normal 22"...

So what is everyone's opinion here on these 1680x1050 res 19" monitors? And does the response time really matter a lot (In regards to say, 5ms vs 2ms)?

Thanks,
Seltox

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Response time is particularly important for gaming -- the faster the better. A bigger screen also gives you extra room to have several pallettes open in, for example, a graphics-editing application, yet still leave ample room for a decent image size on screen.
However, first things first. You need to check that your current graphics card can give you a 1680x1050 resolution at the highest color-depth (important for gaming graphics) and that will be dictated by the amount of video memory your card has. Check the advanced display settings now to see what resolutions are available before buying that monitor or you could end up having to shell out for a new graphics card as well
to support it.

Edited by phillip22, 12 November 2008 - 10:17 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I can tell you about my current rig if you want :)

abit IP35 Pro motherboard
XFX Alpha Dog 8800GT (512mb)
2gb Corsair PC6400 RAM, running in dual channel
Pentium D 950 (running at 3.8GHz)
Corsair HX-620w PSU

And the CPU is getting an upgrade at christmas.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First of all, be sure your video card is up to the task. Second, it may be my age, but I'm not a fan if super high resolution monitors and their small fonts. While you will fit more on your screen, it comes at reduced screen size.

My 19" are 1280x1024, and that seems perfect for my use.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Who says I need to run windows at 1680x1050? I probably won't. But for games, i'll try.

My video card has a max resolution of 2560x1500 as far as I know, so it should be able to go to it :)

And as far as games go, I know I won't be bumping my crysis up to 1680x1050, it's about as good as i'll get with my settings now, but then games like... Quake 4 or Dawn of War or something, the extra res will be nice.