Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

moving files to new computer

• Please log in to reply

inzeo

inzeo

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I love my computer and how it runs...the apps I have I love and it does everything I need it to do with very little hassle...none the less I am getting a new used computer from my father (his buisness upgraded and he is sending out the old work comp)...

I will be switching to the new computer later this week...probably this weekendish...

I plan on using my computer as a server for my media and use the new comp for my day to day browsing and writing, so I will need to transfer the files too...

I have no idea how to go about setting up the new comp like the old...ANY help would be great

Let me know what you need to know to make informed suggestions and really please I'd love suggestions...

Below is a list of the old comp I use now...later I will add the new comp specs (and anyother things anyone thinks it would be good to know)

Thanks to any and all...

Inzeo

OLD:
XP media center edition
ver 2002
sp 3
emachine t6524
amd athlon 64
3500+
2.19 ghz, 896 mb
c: 180 gb
d:4.10 gb
comodo, firefox, malwarebytes,nod32,utorrent, other misc....
dlink ethernet switch (des-1105), zoom adsl bridge modem, 8x8inc broadband phone gateway

Advertisements

inzeo

inzeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
FYI...

I am also willing to try and learn a linix system as a dual boot until I get the hang of it....(just a thought)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you're happy with the one you currently have, why not just keep it and setup the new one you're getting as the media server?

Troy

inzeo

inzeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Troy,

The old one suffers from weird start up problem...once every 20+ restarts or startups it just doesn't. I jiggle the hard drive wire a couple of times make sure it is planted firmly and try again...
figured with it as the server and the new as my main. I won't panic, that it finally died, if I have work due or the like...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What I would do is start fresh on the new one. :)

Make a list of programs that you have on the one you like, and add or take as you would like. Then one by one install everything and get it working nice.

Then copy over all your personal files, finish setting up any programs as necessary. If you don't have any problems at all, then you can start changing the old one into your media server.

If you do have problems with it, well you've got two computers setup the same - chances are you'll be able to keep all your data good and have a working system, while you try again with the new one, making changes to suit.

Cheers

Troy