Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup software

• Please log in to reply

xager8on

xager8on

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Windows XP Pro comes with its own Backup utility, but I can not get it to work to automatically backup data on a schedule. Thus, what is the best backup utility to schedule daily backups? Freeware, shareware, etc.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I use a free program called Syncback. You can backup any file or folder you want. You can set it to run on a schedule. I use a usb external drive I plug in on the weekend. I also have a drive that is mounted in the desktop that is strictly for backup. So I am backing up to 2 separate drives at the same time.

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After looking up the error I usually get for MS Backup on Windows XP PRO, I found out that the issue is that you have to define a password for an account. Even if you have one account and want auto login. You just cant have a password that is Blank. After changing the Registry to set the Default Password and setting up AutoLogon I had to reboot and pray that Auto Logon work as advertised, which it did. Then MS Backup works perfectly to setupa schedule. Now To see if the schedule runs automatically.