Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

safari keep quitting

• Please log in to reply

dnc29

dnc29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had my mac for about 8 months and for the past month my safari has been just randomly quitting, like it just disappears with no sign of quitting no pop up boxes or anything its just GONE!!! does anyone know how to help me???

Advertisements

macmaxbh

macmaxbh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
dnc29, sorry to hear about Safari messing up, and sorry nobody's gotten to you earlier!

First, are you running any Safari extensions (like PithHelmet, or AcidSearch)?

Second, if you go to Applications -> Utilities -> Console and click on "All Messages", then search for "Safari" or "crash", does anything come up? Does anything look unusual in the Console? (If you're not sure, then the next time Safari disappears, go to the Console and see if anything new popped up, if so, post it up here).

thegeekyone

thegeekyone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You could try checking to see if there is an update by clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner and going to software update.

samlab25

samlab25

• Pip
  • 1 posts

dnc29, sorry to hear about Safari messing up, and sorry nobody's gotten to you earlier!

First, are you running any Safari extensions (like PithHelmet, or AcidSearch)?

Second, if you go to Applications -> Utilities -> Console and click on "All Messages", then search for "Safari" or "crash", does anything come up? Does anything look unusual in the Console? (If you're not sure, then the next time Safari disappears, go to the Console and see if anything new popped up, if so, post it up here).

I did this.. Safari quits on me more since the most recent update. Its so frustrating.

Here is the message I received:
1/3/09 8:11:17 PM com.apple.launchd[100] ([0x0-0x78078].com.apple.Safari[2065]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I get these and some other errors including this:
1/3/09 6:58:04 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.backupd-wake[2174]) Exited with exit code: 1

Any help you could provide would be great. Its getting worse and worse. I empty my cache, reset safari and clear my history all the time, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Thanks again.

macmaxbh

macmaxbh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

I did this.. Safari quits on me more since the most recent update. Its so frustrating.

Here is the message I received:
1/3/09 8:11:17 PM com.apple.launchd[100] ([0x0-0x78078].com.apple.Safari[2065]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

I get these and some other errors including this:
1/3/09 6:58:04 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.backupd-wake[2174]) Exited with exit code: 1

Any help you could provide would be great. Its getting worse and worse. I empty my cache, reset safari and clear my history all the time, so I'm not sure what's happening.

Thanks again.

Hmm, samlab25, that's quite unusual.

First, can you tell me what computer you have and what version of Mac OS X you have?
Second, can you post up a crash log? You can post up a crash log by going to ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter (~/ means your home folder). If you're running Leopard, you'll see one file for each crash, pick the most recent one and post it up. If you're running Tiger, there'll be one file for Safari--open it up, and post the most recent crash log in it up (they're separated with stars).