Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem Question

• Please log in to reply

Helpster

Helpster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I already have a working network on another floor but because we cannot route an ethernet cable to my room and there is already a phone line cable routed to my room I am in need of another modem.

Does it matter the type of modem I get? I'm seeing things like Cable modems and ADSL modems as I don't want a 56k because of the speed.

I'm using Bell's Internet Performance Package, link.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It all depends what kind of service you use: dial-up, cable, or DSL.
Besides, if you want to use second modem, you'll need to obtain another account from your ISP. If this is dial-up, I'm even not sure, if it's possible (it's been a while...)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm assuming you can't do wireless to get the connection from the other area to your room?

another option would be something called a homeplug....basically it's a network adapter that you would plug into your network downstairs via ethernet...then plug into a power outlet...then you'd plug in an ethernet cable upstairs and the wall outlet....then the device sends the network traffic over the power lines in your house instead of wireless or through ethernet

http://www.tigerdire...ywords=homeplug

Helpster

Helpster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It all depends what kind of service you use: dial-up, cable, or DSL.
Besides, if you want to use second modem, you'll need to obtain another account from your ISP. If this is dial-up, I'm even not sure, if it's possible (it's been a while...)

I am using DSL.

i'm assuming you can't do wireless to get the connection from the other area to your room?

I'd prefer not to due to low speeds.

another option would be something called a homeplug....basically it's a network adapter that you would plug into your network downstairs via ethernet...then plug into a power outlet...then you'd plug in an ethernet cable upstairs and the wall outlet....then the device sends the network traffic over the power lines in your house instead of wireless or through ethernet

I'm going to get some more information on this.

Thanks for your help.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.