Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temps?

• Please log in to reply

huFFy

huFFy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey guys i just finished building my new computer and installing all the updates.... i got some great help from the building section of the forums but now i have a question about the CPU.

I have downloaded "PC Wizard 2008" to help me with PC information and my E8500 CPU normally runs at 34 c without overclocking and it also shows the temp of core #1 and core #2 which idle around 45-55c.

When i run COD 5 with max settings my cpu temp goes up to about 40c but the cores shoot up to around 65-90c... is this normal?? or dangerous? What is the difference between CPU temp and the Core CPU temps and what should the average temps be?

BTW im using the stock heat sink fan that came with it :)

THANKS!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you really like gaming a lot invest in a better CPU heatsink. Here is a excellent article on core temps for the C2D processors.

http://www.ocforums....ad.php?t=525629

SRX660

BioShock

BioShock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, that is way too high considering the chip. My overclocked Q6600 Quad Core (from 2.4 GHz to 3.4GHz) idles in the low 40c and peaks at 58c. I use the Zalman 9700LED LINK And considering I have dual video cards that idle at 55-60c under the CPU, this thing really munches the heat.

Edited by BioShock, 14 November 2008 - 06:01 PM.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
just for clarification try another temp test using speedfan - just google it

i've always trusted that one!

let me know the results