Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp screen followed by reboot

• Please log in to reply

kylec_2003

kylec_2003

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok so my computer was being dumb and i had decided i was gonna move some stuff to my external and then reformat. So i turned on the computer and it didnt want to go very fast so i restarted it and then it only wanted to run in safe mode so i tried to restart it again and now it acts like its going to load xp then reboots the computer and it will do this forever. so i try to run in safe mode and it loads a black screen says safe mode in all four corners and some junk at the top and sometimes the mouse will move but usually not. next i tried to repair xp with the cd and it does the whole repair thing then reboots and guess what does the same junk and now in safe mode it will throw a window that says that xp setup cannot run under safe mode and will restart now. so im stuck. id be happy getting to a command prompt so i can pull a few files off then just reformat. any ideas????

oh another idea i had.... so found an old 100gig hard drive and i was gonna put it in and get it going and then use my other as a 2nd so i could once again move files. so now i plug the spare HD in with the cdrom and now the computer only sees the floppy so i cant even wipe the spare clean just to get a copy of xp going.

thank you for any help

sincerly,
In way over my head!

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
On XP there are three types of "Safe Mode" (two of them use the Windows GUI, the remaining one does not).

* "Safe Mode" (this runs Windows in safe mode - no internet access - and is the one most people use for troubleshooting).

* "Safe Mode With Networking" (same as above but does permit internet-access).

* "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" (this doesn't use the Windows GUI at all, just a command-line interface like DOS.

From your post it sounds like you may have chosen the command-line safe mode by mistake.

Edited by phillip22, 13 November 2008 - 06:24 AM.

kylec_2003

kylec_2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ive tried using all 3 safe modes and no luck with any of them

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Kylec;

You can try to boot your system using Knoppix LIVE CD - and you can copy your files over to the HD. Knoppix is an OS on a CD in a sense.
www.knoppix.net