Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rebooting gateway xp going on for 4 months now

• Please log in to reply

colucci

colucci

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
since august this year my desktop has been automatically restarting i am not sure what the problem is. I used my gateway system restore disc and started my pc from scratch but it was missing the network adapter so i had to download that on my laptop and then burnt it to a cd so i could upload it on my desktop. when my computer was restored it was also missing an audio drive. so i had to download that too. i got the one purposely made for my computer from the gateway site. Then i put fruity loops studio 8. and winrar on my computer. oh and the opera web browser. Then i got the reboot problem again. Gateway support told me that it could be the audio driver. so i unistalled it and got the latest one but it still rebooted. so then i jsut unistalled it and it STILL rebooted. in my device manager it shows two yellow question marks next to: SM bus controller, and Video controller (VGA compatible) could the be the problem? I use the computer to write music and it is a nightmare when it restarts in the middle of a song. and it also has been freezing lately.

(I also had this problem earlier this year and then all of a sudden it stopped rebooting around summer time but now it has started this curse again)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
SM bus controller error indicates, that chipset drivers were not installed.
If you have on-board video, lack of chipset drivers may also cause video controller error, however, it may be also separate driver for video.
Go to Gateway site, and download appropriate drivers.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
would the chipset driver be the Intelchipset1025.exe? its listed under My Motherboard Downloads.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very likely, but to be 100% sure, can you post a link to that site?

Edited by Broni, 13 November 2008 - 12:39 AM.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
http://support.gatew...mp;uid=21431978

that is the link for the driver itself

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What is your Gateway model?

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
oh ok sorry

my model is GT5026E Desktop Computer

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, it looks like correct driver.
You should also download IntelVideo4308.exe - Intel® Express Chipset Family Video Driver from here: http://support.gatew...s...&param=5648 (very last item).

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok i will do so tomorrow when i get home. I will be sure to let you know if installing those 2 drivers fixed my pc.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)

Advertisements

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
downloaded/installed both drivers. It made the yellow question marks go away. but when i had to restart my computer on the video drive it rebooted with the screen that tells me it was not shut down properly and lets me choose from safe mode and last known good configuration etc etc.
Then once the computer started again it was on for 3 mins and rebooted. so thats not the problem :help: :) :) :) :) :) :) :wave: :)

Edited by colucci, 13 November 2008 - 07:23 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, at least we fixed couple of yellow marks...

See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
what would doing it in safe mode fix?
so i have no yellow question marks on any drivers. Should i just click every driver and see if it updates?

could it be the cpu fan, or my network card? remember my network driver was downloaded for gateway on another computer and then burnt to a cd for me my desktop

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Should i just click every driver and see if it updates?

No. Leave the drivers alone.

By checking Safe Mode, we'll see more clearly, if we're having software, or hardware problem. In Safe Mode, only some basic files are loaded.

We have to proceed step by step. There is no definitive answer to your problem, right away.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
before i try safe mode. i am going to install the latest windows debugging tool off of the microsoft site and try and read my minidumps.
good idea? or bad?