Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors when copying from External Drive

• Please log in to reply

zeckdude

zeckdude

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

I am trying to copy some files from an external hard drive to another drive. At first I have to wait for a while as it says "Preparing to copy..." and then it copies very slowly. After copying a few(different number every time I try) files, it gives me the following message:
"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I have also received the following message a few times while trying to copy:
"Cannot Copy [filename]: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I am receiving these errors when I either copy to an internal Hard Drive or external Hard Drive.

I ran a check disk, and it came back with the following message "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

I am very confused as I can access the files on the external drive, but it runs slowly as I try to open or navigate through the external drive. Also, I am confused, because it lets me copy some of the files, but then at some point gives me a error message.

What can I do to copy files from the external hard drive?

I hope you can help me as I have some very important files on the external drive, which I ofcourse didn't backup. Also, please let me know if there are other options available to me such as recovery services or recovery programs if I cannot solve it on my own with your help.

Thank you in advance!!!

Advertisements

zeckdude

zeckdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Upon putting my external drive into a USB port on the back of the computer, I noticed it's ALOT faster than the USB port in the front of the computer where I had it plugged in so far. It also copies correctly now with no error messages. I now see that BOTH of my front USB ports are not working correctly and the error messages were due to that.

How can I fix the front USB ports so they work correctly?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
most likely you are stuck unless you want to buy a seperate usb header that would go into one of your drive slots... The Front ports are probably only rated for 1.1 instead of 2.0.