Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A game disconnecting my internet

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Im not sure if this is right place to post but... please move it if it doesnt in the catagory.

I got a wireless router, connected to my modem, then router to my CPU.

Other games doesn't disconnect my interent but this does. When im surfing through the servers.
I have googled for solutions but no luck yet. Seems that people have reported this problem too and found out that people who have routers report this problem.

Please help me :)

Advertisements

roadran

roadran

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
what you can't connect to a router to a cpu

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

what you can't connect to a router to a cpu

yes you can with a network adapter

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Was it working prior to the router connection? Can you try connecting it directly to the modem to see if the game still disconnects?

You might also want to look into port forwarding if the game uses a specific port.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
game doesnt disconnect when connected PC directly with modem

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Check the port forwarding on the router. It could very well be causing this problem. For more information on port forwarding, see here. You can see if your game is listed there and also find out how to setup port forwarding on your router (many major brands and models are listed on that site).

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
there is wolfenstein enemy territory :) im gonna try the forwarding right now.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 27950,27952,27960,27965 <--- ports need to forwared to that

can you help me step by step instruction i followed to prot forwarding page then it said you need to do the static ip thing at the top. but it came up with a guide for something else.

Edited by reload147, 23 November 2008 - 01:07 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You might have to refer to your router manual for that information on how to setup for static IPs. Basically you will tell the router not to automatically assign IP addresses to devices connected to your router. This also means that you must assign a different IP address to each and every device that you connect to your router. Otherwise, they won't be able to go online.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i need to ask what my DNS server is as it doesnt have it on the http://www.routerlogin.com/start.htm
or is there other ways to find it?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You can find out by using ipconfig. Go to Start > Run and type in cmd and hit OK. Then type in ipconfig /all and hit ENTER. It should tell you the DNS Server address there.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Sorry for late reply but i have done it tyvm :)
it looked hard reading all the steps in static ip but youtube steps showed me it was nothing more than few steps..
Now im gonna test the game :)

ty again :wave:
-Reload147