Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Minor Annoyance

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hi guys, hopefully this is a simple one.

Every now and then, I get a [Microsoft] prompt on screen asking me if I want to upgrade my Media Player to WMP11

Now, I installed this thing once and it completely screwed my system up to the point where I NEARLY lost nearly 200Gb (25,000+) songs.

So I don't want it now, or ever.

What I'm worried about is someone else seeing the prompt and just clicking yes, when I'm not around.
My pc is left on quite a lot during the day when I'm not there, so is there a way I can stop this prompt from ever appearing?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Jonesy,

Can you go into IE > Tools > Windows Update > View available updates and uncheck it from there? I believe you can stop updates that way, although I haven't done it in a long time.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you click the yellow shield in the taskbar, the one that tells you that updates are available, you got two installation options. I don't remember the exact wording but the top one is for automatic installation of all updates and the lower one opens a list of all downloaded updates.

The lower option is the one you want. Uncheck WMP11 and continue with the installation. A dialog box will show up asking if you want windows not to show the unchecked updates in the future. Confirm and continue with the updates. All updates, with the exception of WMP11 will install and WMP11 will not show up again as an available update.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Sari - I'm running Firefox, and I've had a quick look, but can't find anything related to Windows Updates there.

And Skeptic, this prompt NEVER appears as part of the regular Windows Updates - the one that propagates through the wuaudit task.

It just appears randomly, and never as part of another update.

Edit: There is an option in the WM9 interface, under Tools > Options > Player which specifically refers to "Check for Updates. "

The only options are Once a Day, Once a Week, or Once a Month. Shame there's no option for "Never Check"

It's currently set to once a week. I'll change it to once a month - at least that will reduce my exposure to getting WM11

Edited by Jonesey, 13 November 2008 - 01:36 PM.