Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello Everyone. I have a big problem with my wifes computer. She has a Dell XPS M1330 laptop computer which came with Vista U. One of my boys nocked it off the couch and the speakers does not work anymore. Well the computer started doing the blue screen thing and shutting itself off. Now the darn thing won't even boot up. I have tried all the dignostics that I could find while the computer tries to boot. I even have been trying repairing to reinstalling from the OS disk that came with the computer. Now the computer won't bring up the disk. It only loads files and then blank screen. The only thing that shows is.

File: \windows\system32\drivers\intelide.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
You can replace the file with a new copy (attached). Unzip attachment and copy file to a floppy on a working PC. Put floppy in non-working PC.

Boot the Vista DVD

-Select repair your computer

-You should see your Vista installation. Under location, it'll give you the drive label associated with Windows (it's not always C when using the DVD). You'll need to know that drive letter to complete the steps below. Select next.

-The disk will likely detect a problem with Vista and give you the option to automatically fix the problem - select cancel. This will give you the advanced recovery options.

-Select command prompt and, in the command prompt window, type in the text below and hit enter. Make sure you hit enter after each step. Again, I'm using C:, but make sure you're using the correct drive letter for the Windows partition if it's not C: in your case. Because the file may already exist in Windows in a corrupted state, the process below includes steps to delete it first. If delete producess error (file not found) don't worry, procede to next step.

c:
then...

cd c:\windows\system32\drivers
then...

del intelide.sys
after that...

Finally...

copy a:\intelide.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

Attached Files

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Niether one of my computers have a floppy drive. Can this be done on cd or jump drive? also how can i get to the command prompt without booting from cd. The computer won't let me.

Edited by firemedic1620, 14 November 2008 - 05:17 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First of all, your laptop may have serious physical damage, due to its fall, but let's put that aside for a moment.
Can you access BIOS to see, if the boot order is set to boot from CD/DVD, first?

chrisvee55

chrisvee55

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello,

i am having the exact same problem, and i don't have a floppy drive

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes my boot order is cd first. It will actually go through loading files. Ocassionally it will get to where it says install now but that is as far as it will go.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
chrisvee55
You need to start your own topic.

firemedic1620
Try cleaning CD. Use lint-free cloth, and a bit of a glass cleaner.
Make sure, you use radial, not circular motion, while cleaning.

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I trtied cleaning the cd. It still gives the same thing. I was able to get to the point were you can pick which test you want to run. Still unable to boot up though.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd probably take the laptop to the shop to check for damaged components (after the fall).

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Closing post thank you