Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No SOund Driving me NUTS

• Please log in to reply

Michellepike

Michellepike

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello Everyone this is my first post and usually I mess with the computer till I Fix it but I cant fix this one.
I have and HP Pavilion zv6100 OS XP Home I have no sound in the device manager I have a yellow !
Next to Conexant AC-Link Audio under sound Video and game controllers The device status says THS DEVISE CANNOT START (CODE 10) I have tried everything my brain knows Please hel
Michelle

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello
Please go to this HP driver download site and download/instal the contex audio driver.

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have done that a ton of times ???????

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It may be that a hardware filter is stoping the driver from loading.
This usualy happens with optical drives and flash drives, but it will not hurt to try the fix here.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
nothing happened

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Then you have the wrong driver, OR your sound canrd is bad.
The easy test is to add a pci sound card. The less expensive ones go for under $20.00 USD.

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
if the card was bad wouldn't it say there was something wrong

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
No.
The card could be bad and Windows could say that the device is working properly.
You did reboot the computer after removing the upper and lower filters, yes?

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Recommended resolutions

Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Update the driver

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

View the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Complete troubleshooting information is provided in the following article. Please see this article for help. For more information about Code 10-related errors , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
943104 (http://support.micro....com/kb/943104/) Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computers

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
We have removed the hardware filters that could block the drivers from loading.
Updated the drivers (you did install the driver after downloading it?)
So the next step is to test the sound card by replacing it with a known good sound card.
Since we can not replace the onboard sound card with out replacing the motherboard we need to add a sound card.

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
could there besome sort of conflict going on?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Not with that error messege in device maniger.
Unless you have two sound cards and one of them is working properly.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
From reading on the net, it looks like Conexant AC-Link Audio is a very problematic device.
See, if this will help: http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=173203
Pay attention to post #2, and #4
Make sure, you visit the link from post #4

Michellepike

Michellepike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
still working on that one:)