Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about sstem standby.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
When I set up my XP Pro w/SP3 system standby I'm given the option of shutting down the hard drives.
Is that something I should be doing?
I've read something about starting a hard drive causing more wear and tear on the drive and possibly causing premature failure.
Thanks for any help.
J

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
According to Microsoft turning off the hard disks when not in use saves power.
For a laptop running on battery power it means the battery will last for longer before needing a recharge.

If it's a laptop it's probably a good idea then, but on a desktop PC the power consumption of hard disks is really very small
and not worth the minute savings it brings when compared to the extra wear and tear it puts on the drive every time it has to spin up again.
I don't use that option on my PC, never have. But ultimately it's your choice. You may want to read this, I think it well help you make an informed choice: http://bucarotechelp...ps/93081403.asp

Mods please note: the link is not another computer forum - it's a compilation of tips and advice by the website operator!

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
phillip22,
Thanks ver much for our help.
J