Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crap!: Ad-Aware SE and lots of clicking.

• Please log in to reply

aardvark9909

aardvark9909

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Crap! I just tread through downloading Ad-Aware SE to try and get rid of some pop-ups...I hate to start a thread for this, but I don't think it worked and I think I made something worse. Anyway, here it is from the start.

We've been getting pop-ups for free PS2 games and personal adds every time I open IE for the first time...annoying, but whatever. Lately, we've been getting XXX rated crap too, and that is unacceptable (my buddies send me a lot of links and dls that may have led me to more...unsavory parts of the web).

Anyway, I figured I'd try a fix. I installed the Google toolbar, hoping that would stop the pop-up. Didn't work. Everything else is cool...no pop-ups during browsing, just when I start IE, every time.

Keep reading, please, I know you've seen a million posts like this.

Anyway, now, when I try to access my yahoo email account, and only after I sign into my account (which is weird), the computer starts to "click" as if multiple web pages are opening at once (only none are opening). The clicking gets faster, IE freezes up and I have to CTRL/ALT/DEL out of IE.

What the heck do I do now? I'm hoping it's as simple as a system restore or the Windows XP self-repair, but I don't want to go any further without help.

Any specific help you can give would be awesome. My email is [email protected] (I can access it through Opera without the million clicks just fine) to contact me directly. Thanks again.

I hope I don't have to re-install windows. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Jason

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
a quick fix is to download the firefox web browser and using that for your web acess...i wouldn't rest on that though because whatever's making your problems happen could get worse. a good place to get firefox is downloads.com.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would also suggest using firefox for your routine browsing. No reason to give up on IE though. Do some clean up. See the link at the top of the forum where it says
Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. Click that link and work your way though the malware guide. If that doesn't fix it, post a hijack this log in the malware forum. :tazz: