Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

No internet connection

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I'm aware that there are hundreds of threads complaining about my same problem... but (after several hours) I can't see to find one with an answer that works.

- My computer is no longer connecting with my wireless internet router
- I've been using this wireless connection for years with no problem and cannot recall doing anything new to cause the
- There are other computers at home that can still connect normally with no problems
- I have excellent signal strength
- I am sending packets but not receiving

Things I've tried:
- Restarted my router
- Renewing my IP address
- Turning off firewalls and antivirus
- My computer is obtaining IP address and DNS server automatically

Anyone who is so generous to help me with this problem, you can basically assume that I know only basic computer terminology.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
OK, I would try to un-install then re-install the WiFi device drivers, (click on Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, then Device Manager). Click on Network Adapters, select your WiFi Network adapter and then on the top of that window click on the un-install button. It will ask you if you're sure. Once it has un-installed, click on the Scan for hardware changes button. Your WiFi device should then be detected and re-install, (since Windows already knows what it is). You should probably make sure that you have its driver CD, (just in case it asks for it). Once it has re-installed, re-start your system and see if its able to connect. If this does not work, try to enter your TCP/IP and DNS numbers manually, (sometimes the DHCP automatic addressing does not work properly. By setting the numbers yourself, the system does not have to get the numbers from the router, (I use this method to extend the range of a WiFi connection as well). If it still does not connect, you may have a failed Wi-Fi network adapter, (since others are still using it ok). I would then open the case, (if it a tower or desktop), and check for any dust build up on the PCI cards or memory chips. Hope this helps...