Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dnscashe hogging cpu

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi All

Was wondering if anyone could help me, I have my pc connected via wireless router BTVOYAGER router and tplink wn620g wireless pen.

I also use Zone alarm free firewall and avast home4.

When I boot up the pc and look at task manager it shows svchost using 50% cpu, on further investigation using process monitor, I've discovered its Dnscache service running from C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll (dnsresolver), I can end the process in task manager, I can also go into cmd and "ipconfig /flushdns if i'm quick enough, but each time i reboot the computer the same thing is happening. I'm not sure what other information you would need.

System is Pentium 3Ghz
1024 mb ram
Windows XP Pro
service pack 2

I havent installed service pack 3 as I know a lot of people who have experienced problems after installing it.

thanks in advance

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Although SP2 sets the DNS Client service to 'Automatic', the recommended setting "Disabled" which will end your problem. See this:

To disable:

Type SERVICES.MSC and click 'OK'

Double-click 'DNS Client" in the list of services.

First check nothing on your system needs this service by clicking the 'Dependencies' tab.
If the lower box says "No Dependencies" you're okay turning it off.

Click the 'General' tab.
Click 'Stop' button.
Change "Startup Type" to 'Disabled'
Click 'OK' to save the new setting.

Regarding SP3, most of the problems were with unfinished releases which have largely been fixed. However, I have to say I had some problems even with the final version. I've since bought a new retail copy of XP with SP3 already integrated into it, and although it's installed on the same PC as the previous version was that had a troublesome SP3 update, this one works just fine.

So it seems if you add SP3 as an update it might give you trouble (as it did me), but installed in it's integrated form as a whole new version of Windows it seems to be fine.

Edited by phillip22, 14 November 2008 - 01:37 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi phillip22,

Thanks for the advice this seems to have resolved the issue.

Why would the Dnscache suddenly start acting in this way if it has been set to start automatically by default ?

thanks again