Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

INTERNAL TO EXTERNAL HDD PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

JCS_

JCS_

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a usb 2.0 ide adapter wire and power plug want to use it on hdd from other computers but when i plug them in thay turn on install and my computer does not see it as another hdd it shows it as c: which is my internal hdd has it in diskmanager as drive letter c: my internal one and can't change drive letter what am i doing wrong?

xp home sp3
internal hdd is c: location 0 (0) 40gb
external hdd is c: location 0 40gb wd why are thay the same?
have it set to master is the only way for it to be seen in diskmanger i have a my book it works just fine don't get it
if you need any more info just ask thanks JC

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is this USB 2 IDE Adaptor? Have ou got a link to a website showing us exactly what this is please?

JCS_

JCS_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
http://www.amazon.co...b...1183&sr=8-2

http://www.nierle3.c...upply_Unit.html

if thay work wright

Edited by JCS_, 14 November 2008 - 07:13 PM.

JCS_

JCS_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got 1 to work right only have 2 wd 40 gig seagate 30 gig seagate works just fine wd still the same tho its like my computer does not know it has 2 hdds in stead of 1 do you thank it is because my internal is a wd 40 gig and the external is a wd 40 gig? don't know! JC