Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old hard drive and OS, new system

• Please log in to reply

mediccody

mediccody

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
The old rig is running Windows XP, SP3, and I'd like to transfer my old hard drives over to a new machine without hard drives or OS. I understand throwing my hard drive (with OS) on a new build can be problematic because the drivers are all configured for my old rig.

This is my first build, so please excuse my ignorance for the moment. Would it be possible to install the drivers for my new rig's components onto XP while it's running on my old computer, then put the HD in my new computer? What are the chances of this working?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I'm not sure if that's possible, I think that way will complicate it more.

I think you should just do it this way:
- Install the old hard drive on the new rig.
- Insert an XP installation disk on the new rig and boot up the computer.
- Ensure you select to Repair the installation.
- After that just install the necessary drivers you need.
- You will also have to update windows.

Hope that helps.

mediccody

mediccody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That is exactly the kind of response that I was hoping for. That is very helpful, and hopefully it will work properly. Just gotta dig up my XP CD...

Candu

Candu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

That is exactly the kind of response that I was hoping for. That is very helpful, and hopefully it will work properly. Just gotta dig up my XP CD...

Exactly the way that I built my last system, except that I reformatted my windows partition :)