Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnection Problems :(

• Please log in to reply

arkynsei

arkynsei

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, Tell me if you think this should go in the Networking area of the forum but it seems a bit like an XP problem to me so I thought you guys might be able to help.

I recently re-formatted my computer and installed everything fine, I use a BT Voyager router and I installed the software. Everything goes smoothly but now I've realised whenever I connect a USB device (Be it a memory stick, External Hard drive or a mouse/Keyboard) the internet disconnects and it says "Aquiring Network Address" with a little yellow ball on the computer down the bottom in the toolbar. This also happens when I accept a call on skype and when I insert a disc. Sometime's it just randomly does it for about 10 minutes, disconnecting and re-connecting.

I'm not sure if it's some sort of software confliction. I use Windows to configure my Network and none of the other computers on my (Wireless) network experience this problem.

Oh and I use Service Pack 3

Any help would be greatly appreciated! As you can imagine it's very annoying.

If it's in the wrong section, tell me and I'll post it in the right one

Thanks x

(I love this website and the amazing work you do! :) )

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you connected to the router with usb or RJ45 CAT 5 cable...

arkynsei

arkynsei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm using a BT 1010 wireless adapter, I might try a different port but I'm pretty sure it's in the same one I always used, also it's plugged in at the back and all the things I plug in, I plug in at the front so I can't be knocking it.

Cheers for the help :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first download the drivers for the BT 1010 wireless adapter if you don't have them on a cd

uninstall the BT 1010 wireless adapter and driver...reboot and windows will find the "new" hardware..it will ask to install the drivers for it and just point it to where you saved the drivers...