Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer will not load up

• Please log in to reply

snipes040

snipes040

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
so I was performing maintenance on my computer in safe mode and when I was done I restarted it and it gets past the windows xp screen then goes black. I don't get a chance to sign in and nothing happens. I've restarted it many many times and nothing happens. I CAN however start it in safe mode and everything works fine. I've even tried to restore to another point but that doesn't work either. Any help??

thanks

Advertisements

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Might be a video driver issue, try booting into VGA mode(f8 at bootup) and see if you can uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Might be a video driver issue, try booting into VGA mode(f8 at bootup) and see if you can uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers.

ok so when I enabled VGA mode it loaded fine and I signed in but a balloon came up and said do you want to change the resoloution. So i clicked yes and it said there is no video driver installed or it is not working properly?

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Boot up into VGA mode and don't mess with the lil balloon that comes up, just goto your device manager and uninstall your video card driver and reboot. Video card should install on the reboot, if it doesn't you will have to download it or put in your video card CD driver disk and load the drivers off that. Post back.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I was performing maintenance on my computer

What exactly were you doing?

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I was just scanning my computer with avg 8.0 and registry defragger as well as spybot.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
At the same time? Why in Safe Mode?
What is the reason for running registry defragger?

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
so I just reinstalled the video card and everything works fine now. Thanks a lot I appreciate it !!!!!!

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Glad to hear it and thnx for posting your result back.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)