Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up a DNS server

• Please log in to reply

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi all,

I want to build a domain at home for fun and I want to know if I need a DNS server even for a small private domain? If I do, is there a step by step document I can look at for reference? Thanks a ton.

Tjvelcro

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Depends on what you mean by "Domain". If you are referring to a Windows Domain Controller, you are looking at $500+ for the OS (unless you are currently a student). If that is the case then yes, the Server that will function as the Domain Controller must have a DNS server that contains DNS records for your domain.

If you are referring to a internet domain then you will need to purchase one. They are typically less than $10 per month. With the internet domain you could host servers using the FQDN (fully qualified domain name). For this you would also need a static IP. It against the Acceptable Usage Policy of many home ISPs to host such servers.

If you are looking for a free LDAP server similar to Windows Active Directory, then openLDAP is for you. However, last time I looked at the documentation I was not impressed with the learning curve involved.

Please explain what you are attempting to do so that I can better assist you.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 November 2008 - 08:05 PM.

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, I'm a student so I do have a copy of Windows 2003. I don't want an internet domain, just the ability to mess around with a windows domain so I can practice. I currently have the Windows 2003 machine setup and I created the domain but my Xp machine cannot join, it gets a error message about DNS like it cannot find my domain name.

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have attached the error I get. I made a mistake earlier, my XP machine works fine but my vista machine is the one have trouble. When I do a ipconfig /all on both machines I get similar responses. Both machines have the entries DNS servers and Connection-Specific DNS Suffix being my rogers connection.

Tjvelcro

Attached Files