Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply

hocklm

hocklm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly i would like to Say hi to everyone,

Secondly

My computer is a bad thing as it first burnt out the Processor and i got that replaced and now it has stopped me from
using USB memory sticks or USB external hard drives...

This is how it happend.. I had my computer on and i was using it for most of the day then i stopped playing it,
My friend came over and brang his laptop and he wanted some software i had, So i got my external hard drive and plugged it into my computer and all of the sudden it said USB Device not recognised, Must be a malfunction in device please replace device, im like how did that happen? i got a bit worryed as i had over 100gb of important stuff on it,
So i quickly went and plugged it into my laptop and it was actualy fine, then i tryed it in my friends laptop and it was fine. so then i got a USB thumb drive (memory stick) and tryed it on my computer again and it had the same result yet the thumb drive was working fine.
after that i figured well it must be a error so i wiped my computer as my disc that came with the computer diddnt have any components for the usb ports,

I have just wiped my computer and its still doing the same thing... Can anybody help or give any ideas??

Also im using a USB mouse and that works fine for some reason.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.jpg

Edited by hocklm, 15 November 2008 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

Does this happen on all USB ports?

hocklm

hocklm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome to geeks to go

Does this happen on all USB ports?

Yes it does but im thinking its only doing it to memory sticks as the usb mouse works fine,
and the memory sticks i used work on 2 other computers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Right click on the hub and try update or repair.
You can also uninstall the hubs and reboot the computer and let the OS reinstall them. See if that works.