Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wiped my computer and reformated but i lost my C drive

• Please log in to reply

_hat_trick_

_hat_trick_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
so ive wiped my computer using window washer system eraser feature and i have reinstalled a fresh xp pro but my main drive is now H drive
i believe this causes alot of error for me cause im getting these crazy errors of (there is no disk in drive. please insert a disk into the drive\harddisk1\DR2.
when i open my programs.
and not enough space for my plug ins which is going to H drive too.

so can anyone tell me the proper way to make my C drive be my main drive again :)

ty in advance and for taking the time in reading my request

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

There is no way to make the H become C without reformatting again. I tried this when it happened to me.
Do you have more than 1 physical drive in your computer? If so, unplug the other ones.
Make sure when you do the format that it actually points to C

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This problem is typically caused by internal card readers.
XP assigns drive letters to removable storage first, then hard drives and then CD units.

Before card readers came along the only removable storage you'd have would have been a floppy disk drive and this is why they've traditionally under Microsoft operating systems referred to as Drive A as it was the first drive the operating system would find. In days when it was common to have two floppy drives in a computer (typically 3.5" and 5.25") they'd be drive A and drive B.

Hard drives are assigned next in the priority pecking order, which is why you'll always find on a default setup the CD units come up as Drive D or E depending on how the hard drive has been split up.

Anyway the moral of this history lesson is Windows Setup assigns drive letters to the removable storage devices first (your card reader) from Drive C onwards, then your hard drive(s) and your CD units. This is why it's ended up on Drive H. The only way to get it out of this situation is to basically wipe it again and unplug the card reader before you wipe it otherwise you'll end up in the same situation again.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 November 2008 - 06:27 AM.