Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verizon Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply

Grendos

Grendos

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am having some trouble with my internet. About a month ago I moved to a house outside of the city, at my old apartment I used Time Warner Cable for my internet and it was pretty fast. But, when I moved TWC said that they could no longer give me service because of my location. There are only 3 internet companies where I live, Time Warner Cable, Bellsouth, and Verizon. Since I didn't really want to go to a wireless service I went with Bellsouth. Well, that didn't go well, week after week I went to Bellsouth to see if my modem had came in and each time I went in there they said that they have no record of my order and I will recieve it in another 3 weeks (this went on for over a month).

So, I decided that I would go to Wal-Mart and buy the little USB wireless internet thing and sign a contract for internet. Well, during certain minutes I will be lucky and it will have a Cable-like connection. But for 90% of the time it seems worse then dial-up. And I know it is worse then dial-up because while Bellsouth was fidling with there thumbs I would go to a friend's house, who had dial-up, and it was better then this. At times I can't even load up a webpage because of the connection.

Here is a Speakeasy Test:
Download Speed: 268 kbps (33.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 93 kbps (11.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Does anyone know how I can improve my connection? After googling my problem instead of seeing other people with my same situation I would see articles about how fast it was. I don't know if my teachers will feeding me bull when they told me this but I remembered that they said that school computers would be slow for awhile because of the connection and then it would speed up the more it was used. Is there any chance that if I wait a little longer my connection will improve?

Note that, as a chronic WoW player, this is not acceptable. Atleast I could play on dial-up, but with this I will be lucky to get past the login screen.

Edited by Grendos, 15 November 2008 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...as with anything wireless your speed will be based on your location....i have a verizon smart phone that i can use as a tethered modem...when i'm in a metropolitan area with good cell phone coverage i've got VERY high speed connections (at the top of the EVDO spectrum)...but when i'm out in the boonies it's back to sub DSL....

Verizon uses two types of internet connections on their cell service..one is EVDO RevA and one is 1xRT...1xRT is AT BEST dialup speed while EVDO is DSL speed....if you're outside of or just within the edge of the "prime service area" then you're going to experience more time on the 1xRT and less on the EVDO...