Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help... all my programs stopped responding..

• Please log in to reply

adeline

adeline

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Help.. i've got a problem with my computer. I think i'll describe what really happen so you guys could diagnose what the problem is. :)

Yesterday night, i start up my computer as usual.. it was working fine until i sign in msn.. thats when the problem came in.. The computer start to restart itself and i have no idea why.. So i waited for the computer to boot up again... but after a few minutes, this problem continues... and it restart again.. then before i get into windows... i came to this screen saying that my system file is missing so i repair it by inserting the windows xp cd rom and press 'r' and the computer is able to boot up to desktop but i noticed some of the icons in my taskbar tray had gone missing.. for instance my wireless linksys icon and the sound tray icon is gone.. and i couldn't run my avast.. I tried to open a song on my computer and the program will stop responding.. same goes to other programs.. it would just hang here... i can't proceed further.

Sorry i'm not really sure what the problem is.. and i don't think i went to any malicious websites earlier on... Please advise me on what i should do? Or should i just reformat my computer? Thanks for any help... very much appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
It may be mailcious... I would try checking up at the Malware Removal Section just to be safe...

adeline

adeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the reply.. Shifting my topic to the malware removal section.