Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Watt usage

• Please log in to reply

FiReFTW

FiReFTW

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was wondering how I can check how much Watts my pc is using because I plan to buy a new graphic card and my power supply doesn't really have quite recommended W output so I want to check how much other components use so I can see if the graphic card will work , any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
General rule of thumb is take the side off the case and you can usually read the maximum wattage on the power box itself. Most branded computers tend to come with 200-250w. If its below 300w it'll definitely need replacing to add another card.

FiReFTW

FiReFTW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yea I know , my power supply is 350W , but the thing I was wondering is how could I check how much W all of my components in my PC are using so I can see if its a fair bit of space to upgrade my graphic card without problems or if its not that smart to upgrade it with my power supply , btw im planning to buy 8800GT not some GTX 280 or something.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 8800GT depending on the variety you buy, can easily suck up 450w on its own.
Your computer is obviously using less than 350w. There's no way to know for sure unless you get appropriate electrical equipment and what not. Most computers generally use less than 300w under idle.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings FireFTW,

Sure you can check the Amount of Watts your computer is using. All it will take is money.

Purchase or borrow a Wattmeter or amp clamp and measure it. I would rather spend the 30 to 80 or so dollars US on my next powersupply rather than buying the test gear to test one computer. Estimating usage is free.
Go to a powersupply estimating site such as

Thermaltake Power Supply estimator

Regards

Kaz

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

The 8800GT depending on the variety you buy, can easily suck up 450w on its own.

That would be 37.5 Amps if the card draws 12 volts.
I seriously doubt that as that is an extremely high amount of Amperage. (enough to melt the wires)

FiReFTW

FiReFTW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Greetings FireFTW,

Sure you can check the Amount of Watts your computer is using. All it will take is money.

Purchase or borrow a Wattmeter or amp clamp and measure it. I would rather spend the 30 to 80 or so dollars US on my next powersupply rather than buying the test gear to test one computer. Estimating usage is free.
Go to a powersupply estimating site such as

Thermaltake Power Supply estimator

Regards

Kaz

On that site it calculated 328W , thats fairly high and its not even 100% load , id best just save some money and buy a new power supply while im at it.