Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a new computer.

• Please log in to reply

infinitus

infinitus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am planning on getting a new computer. So far i have narrowed my choices to three off the shelves models:

Compaq Presario SR5690CF
Compaq Presario SR5590CF
Acer Aspire M6521

What i would like to know is concerning the Intel Chipsets of each computer, and also the main difference between a Vista Home Premium 32 bit and 64 bit as well as the requirements needed to support each and whether any of the listed three is capable of.

First off, the intel chipsets.

the SR5690CF stocks a Intel Core 2 quad q8200 (link provided to the specs)

the SR5590CF stocks a Intel Core 2 quad q6700 (link provided to the specs)

the M6521 stocks a Intel core 2 quad q9300 (link provided to the specs)

Which has the better chipset and what did you use in your criteria to consider it the better of the three?

Also if taking into account the graphics card of each set, which is:

Geforce 9600GS on the SR5690CF

Geforce 9500GS on the SR5590CF

Geforce 9500GS on the M6521

which of the three would be a better choice? All three computers have 4gb ram and/or can be upgraded to 4gb ram.

Second:

Vista Home Premium 32bit and 64bit, what is the main difference?

Does all three of my choices have the optimum hardware base on its chipset and graphics card to support the 64bit?

Thank you in advance for you thoughts and advices. Also if possible, let me know whether you own any of the mentioned models and whether you have had any qualms about them. Thanks once more.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi infinitus,

Could you give us the link to these computers?

Which has the better chipset and what did you use in your criteria to consider it the better of the three?

I would say the Q6700 would be the best one of the three however, since Q9300 has the newer technology, I would opt for that one if you'd be able to overclock it. The criteria I use is the speed (GHz), the cache and the manufacturing technology. Here's the breakdown:
Q8200 = speed: 2.33GHz ; cache: 4MB ; manufacturing tech: 45nm
Q6700 = speed: 2.66GHz ; cache: 2x4MB ; manufacturing tech: 65nm
Q9300 = speed: 2.5GHz ; cache: 6MB ; manufacturing tech: 45nm

So for the CPU speed, the higher the better, you usually can increase this speed however you will have to overclock the CPU and that comes with risks if you don't know or not have research about it.
For cache, it is also better to have a higher one.
For the manufacturing technology, the lower it is, the better. The 45nm does not generate a lot of heat so users can overclock it a bit further than older technology (like the 65nm).

If you want to know what these words mean, read up in here.
Also if taking into account the graphics card of each set, which is:
Geforce 9600GS on the SR5690CF
Geforce 9500GS on the SR5590CF
Geforce 9500GS on the M6521

which of the three would be a better choice? All three computers have 4gb ram and/or can be upgraded to 4gb ram.

I would go with the 9600GS as it performs a bit better than the 9500GS.

Vista Home Premium 32bit and 64bit, what is the main difference?

One of the popular difference would be the amount of RAM you'd be able to use. For 32-bit OS, you'll only see about ~3.2-3.5 GB of RAM however for 64-bit OS, you'd be able to use 4GB or more. Another thing would be the availability of device drivers, there are some manufacturers that would offer drivers for their products for both 32-bit and 64-bit OS however there are also some companies that don't offer both.

Hope that helps.
Kamille

infinitus

infinitus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Compaq Presario SR5690CF
Compaq Presario SR5590CF
Acer Aspire M5621

Here are the links to each of the three computers.

I'm just looking for a computer that can last me gaming for the next 2 to 3 years. I do not do any overclocking. Neither do i want any of those extra peripherals that they keep on throwing at me like the Aspire M5621, which is why i am a little reluctant about that model, provided that it does prove to be a whole lot better than the other 2.

Thanks again for your insight.