Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

beeping sound

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey guys. I just reformatted my computer and i've got a strange problem. I get loud beep sounds coming from my computer when I do a lot of things, like trying to close a word document, and it asks me if I want to save it or not. I think I remember turning it off last time, but I cant remember how...

Another thing, would you guys recommend anything else to add to my virus protection vault? i've got avast, superantispyware, and spyware blaster. is there anything specific for malaware...? or is that like virus's..

Anyways, hope to hear back from you guys soon :). thanks again for the answers, I always appreciate it.

Edited by Zylocks, 17 November 2008 - 12:41 AM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Check your sound device. It sounds like your system is using the system speaker instead of your sound card

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
how do i go about doing that?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Click on start -> control panel->System->Hardware tab then the device manager. Look for anything with a question mark. If you re-formatted and have not loaded your systems device drivers there could be several, (one will be the sound device). You didn't mention what your system is, but most of the well known names do keep their drivers available on the web for download, (if you lost your motherboard's driver CD). I would try to make sure that all the question marks were out of device manager. You also could click on Sounds & Audio Devices in the Control Panel and see what is says as far as your audio device.

Regarding virus protection, be sure to only have one active at a time. I use Free AVG and have had good results with it. Avast is good but a bit noisy when it finds something.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
heh, i can deal with noisy ;D

I think my drivers are all up to date.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Zylocks,

We have a topic here about free anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. As Mark D said, don't have more than one AV active at a time; that's true of any memory-resident scanner, as they'll actually slow your system down, cause program conflicts, and even make you more vulnerable. All of the programs in the link I gave you are good programs, and there's plenty of information there for you to read.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Zylocks,

Can your system make any sounds? Play an audio CD? What is other events kick off the beep noise besides word? Click on Start->Control panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices and then the Sounds tab. Click on the down arrow by sound schemes and choose "No Sounds". See if that stops your beeping...

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
That seems to have done the trick Mark.

And thanks for that page Sari; it was darn informative. I was trying to find something like that on the forums, but couldn't. as for the firewalls... i dont really like firewalls... they just seem to stop me from doing things that i want to do. i didn't have one before i reformatted my computer. just the AV, and spyware junk. is this a bad idea..?

Edited by Zylocks, 18 November 2008 - 01:26 PM.