Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Browser Start-up - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Chiki

Chiki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. I have average computer knowledge. I feel my PC boots up fine. I have a password set for log in so no family member can enter my account but usually I am the only user. Only when family visits that I create an account for them do they use my computer. Once I enter my password it takes way too long for my desktop with the icons to come up. I only have Zone Alarm and AVG start up at boot

Once I can access the desktop, when I click on Firefox or IE they both seem to take longer to go to my homepage than when I use a computer somewhere else (not at home). I have cable modem and use Windows XP with SP3. I have not had problems with SP3 and this issue started before upgrading to SP3.

I downloaded Hijack This today and created a log file. I was just wondering if someone could take a look at it, and simply by looking at the log file, can detect if there are any problems there with my computer. I look at the log and it's all Greek to me.

I run anti-virus, defrag, registry clean-up, spyware removal, disk clean-up, etc weekly using the better free programs available.

Any help would be appreciated. Just wanting to see if getting to the desktop and the browsers opening faster can be achieved...Tks in advance

Here is the log file:

From the results of the scan, I really have no idea what to check so I can select Fix Checked

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are your system specs...
did you add any new software or hardware recently...about the same timeframe as the problem started...
what registry clean-up program did you use...
running a registry clean-up program can cause issues so first thing to try is restore...go back before you started having problems...

Chiki

Chiki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an Intel Celeron 1.70GHz with 736 MB of RAM using XP Pro (2002) Service Pack 3.

I hope this is the info you are asking for. I have used various Registry Cleaners over the years but am currently using:

Glary Utilities - Auslogics Disk Defrag - Advanced Windows Care - CCleaner

I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware last night and ran it (8 infections cleaned up)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
because you found 8 infections...you probably have more on there that your not aware of...
if after you have been cleared by the malware pros...and your still slow ...and you may not be...
post back here and we will do some more

Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

Chiki

Chiki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will do - Thanks for your help.