Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebooting when inserting a blank cd

• Please log in to reply

edenn

edenn

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am using WinXP Pro Ver 2002 with SP3. I have two cd\dvd burners, Pioneer DVR108, and NEC ND-3450A.
Everytime I insert a blank cd or dvd, the computer shuts down and reboots. This happens if I am using a burning software i.e., Nero, or not. If I just insert a blank disc, the computer will reboot.

I have Nero 8.0 and Nero 9.0 installed, and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.

I have tried disabling the autoplay and it has not been of any help.

Advertisements

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Upon further checking, I have discovered that this is a software problem with Nero 9.0. I was mistaken about the rebooting taking place when I was not using a cd\dvd writting software program. I am able to insert a blank cd without the computer rebooting, but when I start Nero 9.0 (with a blank cd\dvd in one of the drives) the computer shuts down and reboots, and keeps on rebooting until I remove the blank cd.

If I open Nero 9.0 (without a blank cd\dvd in one of the drives) the program will open, and the computer will not reboot. It appears that you have to start Nero 9.0 without any disc in the drives, and only insert one when the software requests one. If you insert a blank before being asked for one by the software, the computer will reboot.

I have sent this information onto Nero, but they are VERY SLOW to respond.

Hope this helps others with this problem.

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Discovered same problem with using Acronis backup program for updating. I have the program set to copy any changed files since the last update. Acronis backup asked to insert a disc to burn the update to, and when I inserted the blank cd, it shut down the computer and rebooted again. I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on my computer...then properties...hardware tab...device manager..
uninstall both optical drives and close all open windows and reboot..xp will reinstall the drivers...

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks,

Deleted, rebooted, seems to be working so far.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)