Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to perform XP repair install. Please help.

• Please log in to reply

IneedWindowsHelp

IneedWindowsHelp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I stumbled across this site while searching for information on how to performa repair install for Windows XP. I read some of your other posts and found them very helpful, so I thought I would try this out. Please bare with me as I explain the situation of my computer.
For the past few weeks I had been having trouble with my computer, as I would get repeated virus topic notifications from my norton anti-virus. The notifications would keep coming and eat up my systems resources so I had to always open task manager and end "rtvscan.exe" processes to close down Norton. Anyways I turned on my computer yesterday, and when I logged in all that appeared was my wallpaper.
So I booted in safe mode and in safe mode all that appeared was a black screen with safe mode written across the top in white letters. The computer was running fine but my desktop was missing.
So in safe mode, I opened up the task managerr went to File>run task and searched for "explorer". I received a prompt that it did not exist so I new I was in trouble. The weird thing is that under File>Run Task>Browse I could still find all of my folders, documents, programs ect. It was all in tact.
So I booted in normal, opened my anti-virus through the task manager and ran it. It quarantined 78 items but unfortunately, when I restarted, the virus or whatever is causing problems, wasn't gone and I still got my blank wallpaper.
So then I decided to do a repair install. I switched my BIOS to boot from a CD first and put in my "Dell Windows XP repair installation CD" . When I started the computer and clicked a key to "run from a CD" the CD spun a little bit and then stopped and nothing happened. I opened the drive and the CD was sitting their not spinning. I tried this multiple times and the same thing happened.

I have tried running hte CD already logged into an account and it works, but with Windows already running it only gives me the option for doing a full new installation.

So do you have any suggestions for getting my computer to boot from the reinstallation CD or do I not even need to do that, and can you help my computer re-find the desktop (aka "explorer") Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am fresh out of ideas.
I have absolutely no idea why the computer won't boot from the CD and it locks up when I try. When I hit keys after it stops spinning, I hear a light beeping noise from inside the tower.

Thank you.

Advertisements

TURKISH

TURKISH

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Will try and help you but cannot guarantee anything.

Your CD will start to spin and then stop during the repair/installation process, just for now try and be a little patient and leave it it for a few minutes. After this time hit the enter key a couple of times, it should start to spin again and may well kick it off loading.

Does it lock at the agreement window, were you haveto hit the f8 key?

If you are going for a reinstall be aware you will need the correct product key number.

I have noticed that on quite a few occassions people with similar problems have had Norton installed, including myself when I had a problem which involved almost rebuilding the whole computer. ONLY a suggestion but look at a different Anti virus, I have known Norton to miss a few viruses and this can cause obvious problems.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you have the windows install cd you should be able to boot from it. You may need to get into the bios and make sure cd is set as first boot option. If you are running Norton, the norton cd is bootable as well, and will allow you to do some clean up. First, make sure the bios is right.

Edited by austin_o, 04 May 2005 - 07:04 AM.

IneedWindowsHelp

IneedWindowsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"If you have the windows install cd you should be able to boot from it. You may need to get into the bios and make sure cd is set as first boot option. If you are running Norton, the norton cd is bootable as well, and will allow you to do some clean up. First, make sure the bios is right."

I have the Windows install CD and I already switched my bios to boot from IDE CD Drive first.

When it says "Click on any key to boot from CD" I hit something, the "periods" after that sentence stop and I hear the CD spinning as if it's about to load and then nothing happens. I've left and come back a half hour later and still nothing has happened. Then when I click keys, I hear a beeping noise from inside the tower.

Can anyone else help?

Edited by IneedWindowsHelp, 04 May 2005 - 12:06 PM.

TURKISH

TURKISH

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok have looked again at the notes you posted and come across this from another user and may be, just maybe this could be the problem. Get into the task Manager window and see if the CPU useage is similar. (ctl,alt,del)

"Solution Title: rtvscan.exe at 99% CPU - version 7.60.

I heard of some issues with users noticing their pc's locking up, my pc was also slow. This is what I found on my PC this morning.

The symptoms don't match exactly to the Symantec site - but are similar.

rtvscan.exe running at 99% of cpu. The link below talks about Norton Anti Virus being upgraded to 8.0. Even though my anti virus software is still 7.60 - the fix worked for me.

http://service1.syma...src=bar_sch_nam

All I had to do was rename the file in C:\temp\Clt-Inst\DATA\MSINOTES\nlnvp.dll and reboot the PC.

Maybe there is a better match to the problem but this works in the short term. My last live update is when the problems started then."

Hope this helps you

IneedWindowsHelp

IneedWindowsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I assume you have cleaned the CD and cleaned the drive?

How I would precede depends on the nature of the Restore CD>...is it an image or an actual windows disk just rebadged? Does it have an i386 directory?

IneedWindowsHelp

IneedWindowsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"How I would precede depends on the nature of the Restore CD>...is it an image or an actual windows disk just rebadged? Does it have an i386 directory?"

The CD is fine. I took it to our tech place on campus and they could run it. But they said I would have to pay an 80 dollar base fee plus 63 dollars an hour to get my computer fixed :tazz: That is why i'm trying to fix it on my own.

I am posting it from it now. My main account is f'd. But a secondary one I have labeled "work" still has a functionable task managers and I opened up Mozilla from it.

From talking to the tech guys they think it is something wrong with my hardrive now because Safe Mode won't load anymore and I can't boot off the Windows Cd.

I just did a virus scan and found notification
"Virus: Torjan.Start Page"
Location C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37.......dll

since I know the location of the virus can I do anything about it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the cd is fine is not an answser to my question....

Dell has multiple variations of disks--some are windows disks with Dell labels, some are disk images, some are system recovery disks.

moving beyond that.....

Right click MY COMPTUER< choose PROPERTIES< choose SYSTEM RESTORE, check TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE.

run your AV program again

clean anything found

turn system restore back on.

you should also follow the link to the MALWARE forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top to clean out anything that is sticking around.

Finally, when that is ALL done and you have a clean system, do the following if the profile still does not work (this sometimes work, sometimes does not).

In the profile that WORKS,

start > run
regedit
enter

Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER
click FILE > EXPORT
name the file HKEYCU.reg and save it to the root of the c: drive

logout, log back in to the profile that DOES NOT WORK.

ctrl-alt-del
choose NEW TASK, hit BROWSE,
change the drop down box from PROGRAMS to ALL FILES, navigate to HKEYCU.reg, select it, and click run.

say yes to merge

reboot and try faulty profile