Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is in the corner of this icon?

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Does anyone know what the white clock on black background in the lower left corner of a thumbnail means?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• icon.JPG

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Had too many tabs open and selected wrong one for that reply. Now I have to find the original one. :) My mistake.

Edited by Major Payne, 16 November 2008 - 07:25 PM.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I'm sorry, I don't understand. My question was about the small black square with a white clock on it that appears in the left lower corner of a .jpg thumbnail (as seen in the attached image).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.thedvdfor...ad.php?t=452987

I think you'll find that is a black clock.
This means that the file has been archived to tape and will take a very long time to access.
The black clock is sometimes seen even if your system is not equipped with Hierarchical Storage Management. When this happens, it's because some program (typically a setup program) didn't check error codes properly.

CopyFileAttributes(LPCTSTR pszSrc, LPTSTR pszDst)
SetFileAttributes(pszDst, GetFileAttributes(pszSrc));

The above code fragment fails to check for an error code from GetFileAttributes. It so happens that GetFileAttributes fails by returning the value 0xFFFFFFFF. If you fail to check this error code, you end up setting every possible attribute on the destination, including FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE. FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE is the flag that tells Explorer that the file has been archived to tape.

Standard overlay icons are:

A small arrow: Shortcut icons have a small arrow in the lower-left corner.
A small hand: Indicates a shared folder.
A small blue arrow (downward-pointing): Files to be written to CD.
A pair of blue swirling arrows: Offline folders.
A small black clock: The file has been archived.

http://forums.whirlp...cfm/409102.html <--various reasons and suggestions but no major solutions

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
No problem Major :)

Thanks for that info Dsenette. I tried searching on both Google and Yahoo but could not find anything (probably my search terms were easily applied to other things). The file was a picture file received from someone (anti-malware scans showed it to be clean), so hopefully the rest of the files are not affected.

Thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all i used for my search term was "small black clock in corner of icon" hehe google is getting smarter every day

as a test....right click on that file and choose copy...then go to a different folder and choose paste...does the new icon still have the clock?

the clock is the result of a specific attribute flag on the file...IN THEORY copying and then pasting the file SHOULD remove that attribute

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hahaha, got to love Google! I used black clock icon left corner of jpg icon and some variations on that.

Yes, copy/pasting the file removed the clock. Is there a specific name for the clock overlay icon? I'd like to learn more about it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe not really...the link i found suggests that it's the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE attribute