Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu temperature 140 degrees F!

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hmmm... Well, you state you have a Pentium D, then right below that you have an Athlon 64 3400+ listed. So, which is it?

Advertisements

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Im sorry my computer is a Pentium D

i was multitasking and I gave the wrong info.

Edited by colucci, 23 November 2008 - 04:27 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, then the CPU heatsink/fan I suggested earlier (the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro) will work fine with it.

If you are shopping at a store that doesn't have that exact heatsink/fan, you are looking for one that is LGA775 compatible.

Though, if your temps are now at 45C, that's not bad for a Pentium D.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok wait. So you are insisting that I buy that Artic cooler freezer 7 pro?

It seems a little to big for my cpu.
To install it, I just dont screw it and plug it in do I?

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hello? can you continue helping me please?

I am so close now

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If it's been three days since you've posted and you haven't received a reply, please post in our Waiting Room. If not, please be patient, as everyone who works here is a volunteer.

To answer your questions, no, I am not insisting that you buy the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, I am merely recommending it. I recommend it for you because it has great cooling performance, and it comes with the thermal paste pre-applied, which will simplify the installation process.

As long as you are certain you have a Pentium D, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro will work fine with your CPU, as will any other heatsink/fan made for LGA775 CPUs.

To install it, you must first uninstall your old heatsink/fan by unplugging the wire from the motherboard and twisting the pushpins so that they unlock. Then, carefully remove the old heatsink/fan and place it aside. There will now be some residue left on your CPU from the old thermal paste. You will want to use isopropyl alcohol (commonly found in rubbing alcohol, though 99% isopropyl alcohol would be better) to remove the thermal paste residue. I typically do this by dipping the end of a Q-tip in the isopropyl alcohol, then scrubbing at the thermal paste residue with it. I then use a lint-free cloth (though a coffee filter works in a pinch) to wipe away the remains. Once your CPU is clean (and DRY!), all you will have to do with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is put it on, lock the push pins, and plug in its wire to the motherboard. If you buy a different heatsink/fan, you may have to apply new thermal paste manually first. If you need instructions on how to do this, let me know.

Edited by stettybet0, 25 November 2008 - 09:22 PM.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry that I have not been patient. It just sucks not being able to write music.

So I will purchase the cooler. Thanks you for your help. Yes I will let you know how it goes.
You explained the installation quite well.

colucci

colucci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hello!
i got my Freezer 7 Pro in the mail today.

ok i noticed that the bottom of the heatsink (where the thermal compound is) well it is in a different direction then the one on my cpu. If I put the heatsink in, it would be sideways. huge problem!
could i move anything around?

and from the heatsink spot to the front case of my computer where the cage is so air can get in. There is a pretty big gap. Since the fan and the heatsink are connected in the freezer 7 pro. My gateway heatsink wasn't connect to the fan and there was the guard on top of the fan which filled in the space.
Is having that big gap a problem?

Edited by colucci, 03 December 2008 - 08:36 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Does your Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro look like this?
Posted Image

The fan is supposed to be "sideways" like that. Some heatsinks have the fan like this:
Posted Image
but the better ones usually have the fan perpendicular to the base of the heatsink.