Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hey guys, i have recently been checkin out wats up and new in the computing world. I jus found out about a day ago that Intel is releasing the new i7 processors. I jus wanted to know whether it would be worth it to go from the machine i have now to a new machine with a few new parts. Here is the comparison:

Current

Upgrade

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 2.66GHz

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz*

Memory: OCZ 2GB DDR3 @ 1800MHz

OCZ 3GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz*

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition

EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition

Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

Asus Xonar Essence STX*

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 Gaming Case

NZXT Guardian 921 Gaming Case

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 790i Ultra

EVGA X58 SLI FTW*

Powersupply: Zalman 750-Watt PSU

Zalman 1000-Watt PSU**

Disk Drive: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM w/Lightscribe

LITE-ON 4x Blu-Ray disc drive(DVD-ROM x12, CD-ROM 32x)*

CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS 9700 NT

Asus Triton 81*

* = Designates an upgrade
** = Would it be worth it to go from a 750-Watt to a 1000-Watt PSU?

Edited by X IBLaCK0uT X, 16 November 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

You haven't said how much these upgrades are likely to cost you, or what you intend to do with the old components, but I very much doubt it's worth it.

When it comes to upgrading (i.e. to upgrade or not upgrade), ask yourself whether you actually need to or not. In other words, is your current system able to handle everything you ask it to do? If it's not, then you may just need a more targetted upgrade - i.e. if it's a bit slow running some games, then you may want to upgrade the video & possible ram.
From the specs of your current system, I'd be surprised if it's struggling that much to run anything (even though you're using Vista).

You may wish to consider a ram upgrade however, especially as you're using Vista 64 bit.

The other reason I would recommend you hold off on upgrading the cpu for now, is that Intels brand new processor is likely to be on the pricey side when first released. If you were to wait a while, you will undoubtedly find that the prices drop & also any bugs are likely to be ironed out by then.