Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-ROM Drive Not Working Properly

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Hey gang...

Just recently the CD-ROM drive in my PC has quit working. It will no longer recognize any CD - be it an Audio CD or a software CD.

When I put a CD into the drive, I do get a CD symbol that appears just above and to the right of my mouse arrow. The CD symbol flashes once or twice then goes away and nothing happens.

If I click on 'My Computer' then click on my CD drive (D:) I get the following message, "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disc might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

When I do put a CD in the CD-ROM drive and close the drive, the green indicator light just below the drive still flashes several times like it always used to when it would play an audio CD.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
New dual layer DVD RW drives are listed at newegg.com under $30

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

New dual layer DVD RW drives are listed at newegg.com under $30

Well, if they're that cheap it sounds like that would be the best option rather than trying to figure out what's wrong with mine. My CD-ROM drive is almost 10 years old (and for some reason it's humiliating to admit that). I'll look into getting a new one and check out your recommendation at newegg.com

Thanks!

Edited by konakula29er, 16 November 2008 - 11:10 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Some computer parts are simply not worth fixing :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If your CD-ROM drive is almost 10 years old, does that mean the PC is also that old or older? If so and if you haven't installed a new hard drive, you may be close to a HD failure, too. Might check at the manufacturer's site and see if they have a diagnostic test to run for your hard drive.

Backup USB HDs are running very cheap at Newegg.com should you need to start backing up the files you want to keep. Just in case. Both Newegg and TigerDirect, even Dell, have some VERY GOOD sales at times. Sign up for their newsletters for awhile. Dell has some great sales which are available for only 30 days or so. I'm sure others do too.

Just some info/suggestions.

You problem could stem from a corrupt driver. Check Device Manager for any yellow/red flags after expanding the complete tree.

Edited by Major Payne, 17 November 2008 - 02:21 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

If your CD-ROM drive is almost 10 years old, does that mean the PC is also that old or older? If so and if you haven't installed a new hard drive, you may be close to a HD failure, too. Might check at the manufacturer's site and see if they have a diagnostic test to run for your hard drive.

Backup USB HDs are running very cheap at Newegg.com should you need to start backing up the files you want to keep. Just in case. Both Newegg and TigerDirect, even Dell, have some VERY GOOD sales at times. Sign up for their newsletters for awhile. Dell has some great sales which are available for only 30 days or so. I'm sure others do too.

Just some info/suggestions.

You problem could stem from a corrupt driver. Check Device Manager for any yellow/red flags after expanding the complete tree.

Yes, my PC is about 10 years old. The HD that is in the PC might also be about 10 years old. I switched it out from another PC and put it in mine about 5 years ago, but I'm not sure how old it was before I made the switch. It was a much bigger HD than the one I had and that's why I did it. I did check for any yellow/red flags in the Device Manager - extended the tree out completely - and didn't find any. FYI, my floppy drive hasn't worked in several years either, so I don't know if that might be further indication that the HD is about to fail.

I did check Maxtor's website and did not find a diagnostic for my HD. I may not have recognized it if it was there. My HD is a Maxtor 6L020J1.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This might be it (or somewhere on page): Troubleshooting Assistance

Lots of good software downloads.

Looks like Maxtor doesn't provide an online diagnostic tool.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Maxtor diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ttid=287#maxtor

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Thanks for the tacking that down and providing the link. It looks like there are two d/l's that might fit the bill.

Maxtor PowerMax v4.23 and Maxtor/Quantum SCSIMax v1.21.

I am unsure as to which one is most appropriate for my HD. Can you point the way?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

That DL was listed on the page links I gave you, but didn't point it out as I didn't know you were willing to accept a download for the diagnostic. Lots of DLs for the Maxtor from different sites came up in a Google search. Will just post them next time regardless. Just was looking for what other drive MFRs offer online without a DL except for maybe an ActiveX install to run the online check.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I am unsure as to which one is most appropriate for my HD

They both should work OK, however Maxtor PowerMax is newer utility.