Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best warranties, best deal laptops?

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
I'm buying a laptop that is just going to be used to surf the net, and maybe listen to music. Don't need anything fancy, just something that will work, and work for years to come. Most of the computers I have are custom builds and the brand name ones I've bought always end up broken within a few years.

So, what's the most durable brand and more particularly what's the most durable laptop I can get for under $1,000?

Also, which brand has the best tech support?

Thanks.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well I'm going to be a bit biased here, because I work for them, but I would say that Dell has the best bang for the buck. I personally have a house full of Dells, and have only required one hardware replacement. With a pretty inexpensive warranty upgrade, you can get a technician sent out to your house with a replacement part the next business day - so when you call Dell on Tuesday and your motherboard is bad, a technician will be at your house on Wednesday with a motherboard. We also have a pretty awesome accidental damage warranty - if you spill something on your laptop and it no longer turns on, we'll replace it with a same or better system. If it drops and breaks into a million pieces, we'll replace it with a same or better system. If the screen breaks, we'll send a technician the next day to replace it.

Some people complain about the technical support - mainly that it is outsourced to partners in the Philippines and Pakistan, and that they just read off of a paper. But that's because their English skills are limited (understandably so) and the script is meant to accurately diagnose and repair a problem. Some people also complain about the low quality of components - but I could say the same thing about most other laptop manufacturers.

If you are willing to be patient with outsource partners, or are okay with chatting in to get past the language barrier, I highly recommend Dell for their warranty support and fair business practices.

(steps off of soap box)

EDIT: (gets back on soap box)
And you can get a pretty sweet laptop for under $1000. I'd recommend a Studio 15 laptop - one of my colleagues just got one and I am very impressed with the build quality, looks, and hardware. Specs are very low on the suck factor too. :)

Edited by The Admiral, 18 November 2008 - 03:51 PM.