Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

beeping sound

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I posted this originally in Software>>>>internet problems, when I had a lot of other problems to go with this one. I solved those, and now just have this one left. I dont really want to delete the other one because its been up for 2 days, and im hoping someone'll look at it soon ;D. I still decided it would be best if I put it in the appropriate place though.

Hey guys. I just reformatted my computer and i've got a strange problem. I get loud beep sounds coming from my computer when I do a lot of things, like trying to close a word document, and it asks me if I want to save it or not. I think I remember turning it off last time, but I cant remember how...

Another thing, would you guys recommend anything else to add to my virus protection vault? i've got avast, superantispyware, and spyware blaster. is there anything specific for malaware...? or is that like virus's..

Anyways, hope to hear back from you guys soon biggrin.gif. thanks again for the answers, I always appreciate it.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Firstly - the beeping...
Go to Start -> Settings ->Control panel then select Sounds, Speech & Audio devices -> Sounds & Audio devices.
Click on the 'Sounds' tab & change the sounds scheme to 'No sounds'.
This will stop all the usual annoying windows sounds you get.

Secondly - antispyware
It sounds like you're pretty well protected against spyware & viruses. Have you got a firewall installed though? If not, I suggest you get one! (And I don't count XP's own firewall here!). If you want a good, simple to use free one, then try either SafetyNet by Netveda or Outpost (free version):

Safety Net

Outpost Free version

Alternatively, there's Comodo which is also supposed to be good

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
awesome :). that seems to have done the trick. Stupid computer beeping sound...

as for firewalls. I've never really liked them to be honest... they seem to just stop me from doing all the things I want. There have been so many times when im trying to either play a game, hosting a game, share something with my friend, or something else that I can't think of atm, and the solution was to just turn off my firewall. So I just turned mine off with my old one. Is this a bad idea...? I didn't seem to encounter too many problems before, just the occasional virus/the usual spyware that gets in.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you have a router which has a built in firewall, then so long as the firewall is enabled, then you'll probably be ok without a software firewall as well. If you don't have a router however then I strongly advise you do install a software firewall.
You should find that after installing a firewall, the first time you try to use a particular application over the Internet (eg other than your browser), the firewall should pop up a warning & ask if you wish to grant permission for that appl'n to access the net. So long as you pay attention to these messages & grant permission where necessary, you shouldn't have too many problems. If you do have problems with a particular appl'n, such as hosting a game for example, then you can normally resolve this by either reading the manual for the firewall (or possibly the game) or simply using google to find out how to configure the firewall.

I guess in the end it comes down to this: would you be happy for a complete stranger to rummage around your computer without you even being aware of it? If not, then you probably ought to consider installing a firewall!

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
"I guess in the end it comes down to this: would you be happy for a complete stranger to rummage around your computer without you even being aware of it? If not, then you probably ought to consider installing a firewall!"

ha. that made me lol.

does that actually happen though.. i do have a router, so I should be good then? does router make matter? would a firewall on my computer and a router be pointless?

thanks again for the answers.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you already have a router then you might want to just check that (a) it has a built-in firewall and (b) it is enabled. If so, then you probably won't need a second (software) firewall.

It shouldn't matter too much what make the router is although there are certain firewall/intrusion detection features that some firewalls use and others don't, which are worth having. EG stateful packet inspection (SPI) to name one.

If you want to check that your routers security is enabled, then either look in the router user manual (or go to the manufacturers website & download it) and look up the routers config IP address (usually 192.168.1.1 or similar), and the default username & password to log in with (assuming it has one & it hasn't been changed).

Next just open your Internet browser & type the router's IP address into the address bar & press enter. This should take you to the routers configuration menu.

Personally, I do run both a hardware and a software firewall but then again, I'm paranoid :)

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
thanks for all the detailed responses.

i seem to have run out of questions to ask ;D.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to be of assistance! :)