Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Few problems after reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Eliktro

Eliktro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all!

Yesterday I had to do a complete reinstall because I would keep getting the BSOD every 5 secs after I booted the laptop up.

I didnt have a XP CD (Came preinstalled) So I made one using a few instructions, It worked when I popped it in so I thought all would be well.

During the installation process there was a few errors, some files could not be copied, I carried on because there was nothing else I could do.

When I typed in my product key during installation (Will come back to this in a minute) it worked fine, then after a while it finally finished, however there are a few problems.

When I try to "Activate Windows" It says my product key is incorrect, I guess I should call them up but not until the other issues are resolved.

My webpage size only fits half the screen, the outer sides is just complete black;
I cant turn the volume up and down, or mute, from the side of my laptop

Of course it might lead back to the installation and possibly the missing files, but I dont know, I know 0% about computers so I have no idea what to do :)

Most of the files that couldnt be installed were something along the lines of .chm? or similar.

I just want it all working again :)

Thanks for your time :wave:

Oh, before I forget, the disk I made was to include SP1&2, not sure if that would cause a problem.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Check your device manager for what components are not loaded properly, (sounds like video & sound for starters), but if you were not able to copy all the WindowsXP files, your system maybe developing a memory chip error.

I was fixing a system with a failed hard drive and my attempt to re-load the operating system kept on failing, reporting that files could not be copied from the CD. After some research on the web, I found that a failing memory chip can also cause this. This maybe the underlying cause of your BSOD problem. In my case, changing the memory chip allowed WindowsXP to load without any errors, (which is what it should be able to do).

Check your laptop's website for device drivers, (unless you can find your driver CDs). Some laptops have a hidden partition that will re-install everything, just like when it came out of the box, (you need to know what keystroke will start it, on ASUS, its F9). If you re-formatted the drive when you re-loaded windows, then this partition maybe have been lost.

Again though, I think you're developing a bad memory chip.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
When you activate Windows there should be an option somewhere that allows you to see what product key is in there. I've had it happen on occasion where I enter the correct key and then have to reenter it when activating Windows.