Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-RW files unreadable

• Please log in to reply

Clive2

Clive2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the problem that a friend of mine has got a new PC not 3 months ago. I installed XP on it and they have been using it fine until a couple of weeks ago when they told me that they can no long read CD's on it.

I have looked at it and they are able to write to CD but not read them. If you insert a CDR with files on the PC asks if you want to open a writable folder, but open it and nothing is there. Put the CD into a different drive and there the files are.

I have tried replacing the drive but the problem is the same, so I imagine it's a driver problem.

I have tried rolling back the PC and the drive then works, but he has installed loads of programs and made other changes which are not there when the it does.

I realise that I could do a repair installation but is there a quicker way (replacing a dll or something).

Many thanks

Clive

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Clive2

Iam not a Staff member here at geekstogo , How ever i may be able to help you..

A little more details about the Rom Would be appreciated :) , Eg Manufacturer and Model

But besides that you may be able to sort the issue out by doing the following

Start > Control Panel > System ( Double left click on icon )

Then Once you have " System Properties " window opened

Select the tab stating " Hardware "

Select " Device Manager "

Is there anything listed with a Question mark or Yellow Exclaimation mark on it ???

Looking at the section " Dvd/Cd-rom drives " Is there any marking Eg: Question / Exclaimation mark ???

IF SO Double Left Click on the drive with the mark then in the " Device Status " Section POST BACK what is stated in that area

That should give us the Information needed to help assist you further

Remember to post back in next reply the type and model of the drive and any other relevent information

PS: If you have resolved the issue please get back to us :)

Good luck and i hope this post can help / Assist you with your issue / Problem

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 17 November 2008 - 04:42 AM.

Clive2

Clive2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Anthony19

The device is listed in the device manager as a HL-DL-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N, which is a LG Electronics SATA multiformat DVD-RW drive propably the GSA-H62N, but there are no question/exclamation marks on anything in device manager. I have also tried an IDE Sony AD-5200A multiformat DVD-RW drive with the same result.

I remember when using win95/98 to boot from floppy you had to put a file called something like mscdex.exe on there to access the cd-rom.

Thanks

Clive