Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reload XP now cannt connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

Alibama

Alibama

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Good morning.

Hope someone can help me with this problem. I had some issue on my computer and had to do a complete reinstall of xp. I reformated the drive and reloaded everything.

I have a Dell Dimension Desktop with Cox Internet I have a lynksys Router and a Lynksys modem. Then I have two laptops that are both wireless.

I reloaded XP media yesterday and all of that worked fine. I reloaded the drivers from the Cd but I have no internet connection. When I go into my computer right click on properties and then on hardware it shows netword divices but it shows it with a yellow ! Point. I did install the modem cd.

The two laptops still have their wireless connection. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks,

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Your Dell system will need all its device drivers loaded, (Click on Start->Control Panel-> System-Hardware->Device Manager, note you may have to switch to Classic view to follow these instructions). All of the unknown devices in the Device manager will need their drivers loaded. If, as you said, you did load all the device drivers, check the settings on your network connection. I'm not sure if your Dell Cd didn't just put the drivers in a folder called Dell on your hard drive. You may still have to install them from there. Hope this helps.

Alibama

Alibama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Would this explain why the modem is not showing up in the list?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Your Lynksys modem should have come with its own installation CD, (are we talking about a WiFi adapter? a modem talks to the phone line). Is it USB device or a PCI card? If its attached to your system but nothing is in the device manager, it is not reporting to the system. If its a PCI card, try it in a different slot and if its a USB device, try it in a different USB port.