Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very slow buffering when watching video

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
i dont know what section to post this on.. its just a request for advice really.. i dont have cable.. and when we watch programs we do it on our computer.. i go to sidereel .. and it links to various sites from there.. lots of times its linked to todou or youku.. places like that.. my question is.. sometimes the show plays wonderfully.. but mostly it buffers very slowly.. it will play a 10 or 20 seconds then freeze for the same amount of time.. do you fine ppl here know of any programs out there to help with this type of problem? or have any suggestions at all.. thanks so much.. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i dont have cable

If you're on dial-up, it's normal.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
no im not on dial up im on cable internet

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I thought, you said "I don't have cable", but....any way, there may be various reasons for your problems.
Let's start with some info from you
1. Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
2. What is your ISP advertised speed. What numbers are you getting here: http://www.speedtest.net/

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ohhh i did say that.. i meant i dont have channels.. i used cybersurf internet.. they run thru the local cable company.. i get my internet thru cable but i dont get tv thru them if that makes sense lol.. where do i look to find out this info... ill google it to see if i can find where and try to by the time u get to read this next.. thanks!

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
i found this info... system.. microsoft windows xp... home edition.. version 2002 service pack 3..... dell dimension dim 3000... intel ® pentium® 4 CP 3.00 GHz... 2.99 GHz, 512 MB of RAM...

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
in addition i found... total capacity is 71.4... free is 46.6... the advertised speed is... 7 MBPs ?? i think... http://www.speedtest...t/358876318.png http://www.speedtest...t/358877295.png i took the test twice here are the links

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd recommend getting another 512MB of RAM. It'll definitely help.
Your test speed at 4Mbps seems to be decent one.
What browser, version do you use?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I would also try downloading Ccleaner or ATF Cleaner and letting them clean out your temporary files. Temp files can really slow down the computer and browsing the internet. I once had a computer that wasn't streaming audio properly. Turns out I cleaned out about 5GB of temp files, and it worked fine after that.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ok ty ill try all that!