Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply

Michellepike

Michellepike

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a hp Pavilion zv26000 laptop I am trying to do a system recovery and I cant because I keep getting the eror message
pci.sys corrupt
I am running xp home
This is my last resort for a very annoying problem with my sound

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello

Iam not a staff member here at geekstogo , however i may be able to assist you with your problem

there are two ways to solve the problem "Pci.sys Is Missing or Corrupt" Error Message When You Start Windows.

Booting with WinXP CD to access the Recovery Console’s Repair option, and then try to copy from WinXP CD the missing or damaged Pci.sys file to the systemdrive for your computer ( commonly C:\ )
Eg: C:\ (the computers hard drive) SO example of this would be C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder , then Exit and Reboot the computer
Hope i have not confused you :) ( If i have , dont hesitate to ask any questions )

OR

try to Boot the computer with a Windows XP CD ( If available ) and then try to perform a Windows XP Repair Reinstall of the system currently installed on your machine

If you require any more detailed assistance please post with the details of your Operating system (WinXP Home or WinXP Pro and the SP ( Service pack ) i.e SP1 or SP2 or SP3 ) along with the manufacturer of your Computer as displayed on the computers case itself

These are only suggestions ( may not fix the problem ) , You may even have a faulty RAM stick... that can cause this error to occur

IF the above suggestions do not work and say you get a error " Setupdd.sys could not be loaded. Error code 4 " while attempting to start the windows Recovery console using the WinXP CD than you may have either incompatible PCI devices in the PCI slots or even one or several bad RAM modules installed ( or incorrectly fitted or even a faulty RAM module may be installed )

IF you suspect bad ram... Try removing one module at a time untill the faulty module is found... ( Only way to trouble shoot )

Remove one module ... reboot and see if the error message occours ( Untill the faulty module has been identified )

I hope this can help you concour the problem

Best of Luck!!! and happy computing !!!

Anthony

PS: IF you do not feel comfortable removing the ram HAVE SOMONE ELSE HELP YOU !!! ( OR damage to the machine may occour )

PSS: Remember to EARTH yourself to the case ( as these modules are electrostatic sensitive )

And also do not wear clothes that may promote static electricity OR Floors Eg: Carpet ( Tiles would be preferable )

Once again, Best of luck!!!

Edited: Added more Detailed information

Edited by Anthony19, 18 November 2008 - 02:30 AM.