Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NIC Driver Trouble

• Please log in to reply

Broondan

Broondan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old Sony Vaio desktop, its a PCV-RS322X. I recently contrcted the mother of all viruses. It tore my sytstem apart, disabling tons of essential services and uninstalling or otherwise destroying a boat load of other programs. To make a long story short, I eventually got rid of it (using malware bytes, great program by the way) but my system was in such shambles I decided to reformat. I had never made the vaio recovery discs, and was unable to find a place to order them online, so I decided to borrow a copy of XP from a friend.

Everyting went find save for one gigantic hicup: I have no ethernet connectivity. I don't even have the drivers for my NIC installed. I tried to find out what the proper drivers were, but the fact of the mater is I can even find my NIC. I cracked open the machine, and do not see anything clearly identifiable as an NIC. I entered every serial number I did see into google to see what came up, but none of them looked like an NIC to me. Please help. Does anyone know what the NIC is on one of these machines, or where to find the driver for it? I'm a serious novice, and this is driving me nuts. Please hlep!

Thanks,

Brendan

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
the NIC will have a telephone-type connector on it's backplate into which you plug a CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable from a router. Similar to a phone socket but fatter and wider.

If you can't see any such socket on the back of your PC (don't confuse it with a standard phone/modem socket) then it doesn't have a NIC.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
this link if you are in the USA

could only find driver for

PCV-RS322

they may work as they do them by series

http://esupport.sony...id=1#div_pos_65

Broondan

Broondan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tip Phill.

Pete: that site was perfect. I'm replying now from my fixed machine and simply can not thank you enough!

Hope this post is useful to others.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Tip:
Download all the drivers and burn them to a disk or save to a USB stick.

glad i could help