Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora problems...I have my HJT LOG[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kaylaw1964

kaylaw1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,
I have read the stuff. I can actually use an XP utility disk on a floppy. Can you instruct me as per what to do next Please.
Thanks and GOD Bless
Kay Law

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi kaylaw,

Before you told me that when you rebooted and pressed F8 you could access a menu with options.

Is one of those options, "Safe Mode with networking"?

If yes, choose that option.
---------------------------------------------------

The whole object here is through whatever mode get you to a place where you can see the START button and use it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Try the above please

Trevuren

kaylaw1964

kaylaw1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i tried that and ende up with the same thing, the problem seems to be with the settings somewhere. I CAN DOWNLOAD A BOOT UP FLoppy from microsoft. I am not sure if they have a boot up CD (do you know) Other wise, if i have to use the floppy, can you tell me what to do next once i have it, i believe it will take roughly six disks.
Thanks again and GOD Bless
kay law

kaylaw1964

kaylaw1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey, i noticed an option called "directory services restore mode"? Do you think this will work? If not give me directions using the XP disks.
Thanks and GOD Bless
Kay Law

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi kaylaw,

All this is better left to when you have your original Windows CD. When will you be able to get it?

You have to be able to access a command prompt and type the following: sfc /scannow which is the command to repair Windows, if it can.

Bootable disks are fine if you cannot boot but you can boot (startup). Your problem appears to be that you are missing files.

Trevuren

kaylaw1964

kaylaw1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks. I will take it to the place where i bought it tomorrow and they will re-install it for me. Do they have the CD at microsoft's website?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi kaylaw,

I can't imagine them not having given you your own copy. They all should because this problem occurs more often than you think.

Now, things to think about before bringing in your computer:

1. Your computer is still highly infected and if they just do a repair you stay with the same bugs that can cause the same problems again. And around and around we go. The repair however may enable you to retrieve your data then you could reformat.

2. If you really need all your data or just certain parts, you may want to ask them if they can retrieve your data for you (Pictures, WP Files etc...) This is a service that is sometimes available. If they can do that at a reasonable price, have it done and then have your hard drive re-formatted and XP SP2 reinstalled and ask them to put your data where it was.

3. With everything I have on my machine (a good part of all my hobbies) I would not want to go back to an infected machine. I would opt for a reinstall after data recovery. If the data recovery were too expensive, I would bite the bullet and just go for the reinstall.

4. When you get back online. Come to the site and get a list of free programs that we recommend you use so this never happens again.

Good Luck and I am sorry things went bad for you

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi kaylaw,

You shouln't have to buy it. The people who sold you the machine were supposed to give you at least what they call an OEM version.

OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer

Make sure you ask them why you didn't get one?

Trevuren

kaylaw1964

kaylaw1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi there,
i am working on putting my system back together. Could you do me a favour and give me a list of preventive medicine to avoid this happening again.
I will be buying another computer for the internet, but in the mean time i will still have to use this one.
Thanks and GOD Bless
Kay Law

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi bkaylaw,

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)

Regards,

Trevuren

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
TO ADMINISTRATION

This topic is resolved and has been closed. Should the original poster need it reopened, please contact a staff member.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.