Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Update issue

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello " Reader "
Fresh/Clean Install of system: Windows Xp Professional ( version 2002 ) service Pack 3 ( about 3 days ago )

computer: intel ® , Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1.50GB RAM ( If that is to any interest to you all... )

i Though i had better update windows to ensure my protection (as soon as i installed xp sp3... And got internet access setup and ready to go )

I downloaded some updates ( And installed them)
These are the updates that had been installed ( taken from add/remove programs from controlpanel listing )

Windows internet explorer 7 - Software updates
1. security update for windows internet exlorer 7 ( KB950759 )
2.security update for windows internet exlorer 7 ( KB956390 )
3.security update for windows internet exlorer 7 ( KB938127-v2 )

Windows XP - Software updates
1. Update for windows XP ( KB898461 )
2. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB923789 )
3.Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464 )
4. Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK ( KB929399)
5.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB946648 )
6.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB950760 )
7. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB950974 )
8.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB951066 )
9. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB952954 )
10. Security Update For Windows Media Player 11 ( KB954154 )
11.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB954211 )
12. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB954459 )
13. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB955069 )
14. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB956391 )
15. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB956803 )
16. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB 956841)
17.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB957095 )
18.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB957097 )
19.Security Update for Windows XP ( KB958644 )
20.Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications ( KB905474 )
21.Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 ( KB936782 )
22. Security Update for Windows XP ( KB941569 )
23. Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 ( KB939683 )

, and then after rebooting...

Iam having this VERY annoying problem that has stumpted me for a couple of days now...

receiving the " Error number: 0x80072EE7 "

I tried to troubleshoot this error via the Microsoft Knowledge Base @ http://www.update.mi...u...n&IsMu=True

To no help at all ( Unable to locate the host file it is talking about lol)
i go to my computer > c: ( Hard drive ) and NOTHING comes up !!! ( Strange ??? )

I right click , select " Properties " and it says used space : 2.81 GB FREE : 188MB

iam sure my hard drive is ALOT bigger than that lol BTW: Right now as i am typing this is when i have realised all this has happened

I read at the bottom section of the " Microsoft Knowledge Base Write-up "
Applications like web accelerators, Tweak Master DNS, Spyblockers, etc., can add static IP entries for the Windows Update site into your HOSTS file, which cause Windows Update to fail

I have NOT run or installed ANY of these applications !!!

All i have is avast home ( VS ) , and Zonealarm ( Firewall )

I understand this is not 100% Secure...

How on earth can this have happened on a freshly installed installion only 3 days ago ??? ( Crazy/strange if you asked me )

The last thing i have done ( As directed by a fellow geeker in the IRC chat ) was to run the Dial-a-fix Application

Did not run successful at first ... though i run it from F: ( USB ) it hung at Stopping Cryptsvc

So i extracted it to the desktop , to no help

as directed i run from safe mode ... and was successful

i saved the log to the desktop , and now it is gone... along with the HOLE extracted Contents !!! ( Left with a " Empty " folder named Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 ( this is a new folder ( created from safe mode )

and its Partially there ( still named " New folder " lol ) , so i know it has not been lost in transition from safe mode to normal mode , because the new folder and the folder named " Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 " from safe mode is still there !!!

it is beyond me this one... as i was just about to post the log lol i realised... it is not there !!!

Am i better off reformatting once again ??? ( only to have it probably happen again :) ) , dont you just love reformatting lol

I hope somone out there can help me out , this one has blown me clear out of the water " Stumpted me "

Never heard of it ... nor have i come across this issue befor

Waiting patiently for reply :)

PS: iam woundering weather it has anything to do with the " Hotfix for Windows Media Player 11 ( KB939683 ) update ( As this was the last one installed ( iam assuming )) "

Thank you for your time ( And efforts )

Edited by Anthony19, 24 November 2008 - 05:56 PM.

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hey Anthony :)

Could you take a look at the event viewer and tell me if there are any errors on the system or application logs.
Also how long did you have this computer?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Just letting you all know , about the harddrive " Free Space " issue... that was just a miss understanding...

As this is not my computer , i did not realise c: is not the hard drive , local disk ( E: ) is :) and looks fine to me...

As i have just stated the above.. i dont know how old the computer is :)

but i have just formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp sp3 onto it ( from vista premium( Which i do not like at all ) )

The updates DID work ... then they did not after i rebooted from some previous updates as described in the first topic

now... about the event viewer there are multipul errors so i will list them all
then you can ask for more details about certain ones that interest / require attention

application: ( ERRORS )

5 application hang errors occoured ( Not consecutive )
3 crypt32 Errors ( as i can see has somthing to do with " Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list " ( Have no idea about lol )
1 application error ( to do with Iexplore " Faulting application iexplore.exe " )

4 consecutive "windowslivesetup " errors occoured ( i have windows live installed )

Now for the system ( Errors )

2( Not consecutive ) " windows update agent " errors ( to do with " Installation Failure " and " Unable to Connect " , two separate errors , the unable to connect is more recent ( today )

4 Browser errors ( Not consecutive )
3 DCOM Errors ( Somthing about safemode )
6 ( Consecutive ) Service control Manager errors ( all about services not being able to start , and " A device attached to the system is not functioning " )
2 ( Consecutive ) W32TIME errors ( somthing about " The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources ")

If you require any more information DO NOT HESITATE to ask :wave:

Thank you for you assistant so far Artellos , Greatly appreciated

PS: as i was typing this post , Automatic update has found 2 updates , and installed them successfully..

PSS: Iam Finishing my week of trade school tomorrow and heading off home ( Last module for the year... ) i will not be able to access this computer after that time untill at least 2009 probably 2nd quarter ( of the year )

Sorry for any inconvience... but this topic may have to heng for some time if we cannot get this issue resolved VERY SOON :help: ( I dont mean to be pushy , but that is how it is lol ) ... Does not bother me if we cannot get it resolved as i only use this computer when i am at trade school ( Everyone else in the house i am staying at has there own computer system ( laptop's , this is a desktop and stays in the room i stay in ))

Thank you once again for your time

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hey Anthony,

So the Automatic Updates installed the updates successfully but Windows Updates won't install any of them.
Below are some things you can try.

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll

Try Windows Update. If it is still not working, then try this:

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll

Try Windows Update. If it is still not working then lets try this:
Download and install the following

Windows scripting host 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
when you say " Windows Updates won't install any of them "

its not that it will not install them... it does not get to that page to install them OR download them :)

it freezes up at " Checking if your computer has the lastest updating software to use with this site etc etc "

THEN it goes to that error " The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem etc etc " ... i dont get to see what updates is able to be found.. or can be installed...

regsvr32 jscript.dll ( Successfully done)

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll also successfully done

HOWEVER , still not able to use the update website to retreive updates...

And on the first post about all the updates , i know there is alot more than that... and automatic only found 2 more ( probly 10 or more can be found )

Went to link: Windows scripting host 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000

Tried to download and all i get is

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

So i guess that is unable to be done also...

is there a way you can put the download onto here ??? or send it to me ???

Thank you for your valuable time

Edited : BTW , if i move away from the website / window while " Checking if your computer has the lastest updating software to use with this site " is there and befor the error , the window stops responding for a LONG period of time ( greater than 30 seconds ) , then i need to close down ( forcing all other pages to close ) OR i wait .. and it comes good ( but leading to the error page )

Edited by Anthony19, 19 November 2008 - 04:23 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Just back here to give my explaination of the issue ( Which has now been resolved after a little playing around " Trial and Error method "

I remember that i did allow all the programs requesting access to the internet from my firewall ( Zonealarm )

after a conversation... i was told i had a problem with the microsoft site... which had me puzzled ( as i had previously installed updates from there befor rebooting and having this problem

" why would an update stop my from communicating with the microsoft site "

knowing that the firewall was the only program to my memory that was capable of such a thing ( it occoured to me the problem would have to be lying there... )

thats when i had starting playing around with it...

i noticed i had both of my internet zone security settings on " high / steath mode " after i had setup all the permissions

it was when i lowered my " Trusted Zone" to the medium setting , i was able to access the update site with NO PROBLEMS at all...

i hope everyone else can learn a valuable lesson from my bad experience setting up firewalls lol ( make sure you know exactly what it is you are doing , BEFOR you do it :) )

thank you all for your time reading this , and most of all THANK YOU ARTELLOS in trying VERY HARD to resolve this issue promptly , very much appreciated ( Would not have resolved it without your assistance )

PS: This topic can now be closed off ( Resolved ) , i hope others can learn/pick-up a thing or two from these post's