Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

extension .eml,

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Dell Inc. Dimension 4700, IE7.
Processor a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 416-kilobyte primary memory cache1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache.
DRIVES: 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
152.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Sometimes I get as forwards with the extension .eml, for example, Puppeteer Extraordinarie.eml (5049KB)

When I download that, which takes me to Outlook Express (which I do not as yet have set up in my computer). In the Outlook Express Attach area is the Puppeteer Extraordinarie (3.69-MB). When I click on that I takes me to: Do I want to Open This File? I open it and it opens in Windows Media Player where I wanted it to open in he first place. So do not understand about the .eml extension.

Does that mean someone is sending it from Outlook Express? I have a bunch of friends on OE that send me forwards but they usually have the file extension .pps, .wm, .wmv.

I was just looking through a Special folder in my email where I keep really neat forwards and send them out again at some time. Some I have had since early 2007, for example, this one; Surfing.eml (2190KB) (only it did not have that extension when I first received it) When I click on the .eml it takes me to Outlook Express where in the Attach: it shows Dog-Surf.wmv (1.60 MB) and if I click on that it opens in Windows Media Player, as it should.

I am wondering why the extension would change from the original .wmv to the .eml.

Anyone know? Thanks much.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
.eml files are just E-mails saved in Outlook Express format. It is likely that the person who is forwarding the emails to you is forwarding the message as an attachment, and not as part of the e-mail itself.

Are these .eml attachments all coming from the same person?

Also, I should note that filext.com says that .eml files are often corrupted by viruses and could be dangerous. Do you trust the person from whom you received the email? Were you expecting these forwarded emails from this person?

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks for your reply, Admiral. What a precious baby!

The .eml attachments are mostly coming from one person. I was not expecting the .eml but I do know the person sending them and she is not very computer literate (even though she has had a computer for eight years now). I am going to ask her not to send me anything more with the .eml extension

In my email I have a Special folder in which I keep really neat power point, wav, etc. I have several hundred of them and I resend them every so often. I am now wondering if the .eml I have been receiving has affected those as I notice that a lot of the power point has changed to the extension .eml. That is strange.

Every evening I run Spybot, and my antivirus is Avira, my firewall is Zone Alarm. I also run online antispyware.

Thanks, again. Anna Ruth

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Uh, Oh, I may have done something wrong. I think I sent my reply to you to myself. Whoops!

.eml files are just E-mails saved in Outlook Express format. It is likely that the person who is forwarding the emails to you is forwarding the message as an attachment, and not as part of the e-mail itself.

Are these .eml attachments all coming from the same person?

Also, I should note that filext.com says that .eml files are often corrupted by viruses and could be dangerous. Do you trust the person from whom you received the email? Were you expecting these forwarded emails from this person?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Are the .eml files in the folder you download the neat files relatively new? Or is it actually a file that you know was a .ppt that was changed to .eml? Have you noticed any other files that had their extension changed?

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The ones in my Special folders are from 2006 to now. I know that the originals were power point and a lot of them, not all, have changed to .eml. I have noticed that some wav files have changed to .eml

Are the .eml files in the folder you download the neat files relatively new? Or is it actually a file that you know was a .ppt that was changed to .eml? Have you noticed any other files that had their extension changed?