Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Placing a shortcut to DOS on my XP desktop

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I'd like to have a shortcut icon on the desktop of my Dell 3000 (with XP) that takes me to the MS-DOS prompt. Can someone please tell me how to do that?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Paste this into the "New Shortcut Wizard:" %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k cd \

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
1101doc: Sounds good, but what is the "New Shortcut Wizard?" How do I get it (or do I already have it, in XP?)?

METAL VIPER

METAL VIPER

• Pip
  • 8 posts

1101doc: Sounds good, but what is the "New Shortcut Wizard?" How do I get it (or do I already have it, in XP?)?

Right click > New > Shortcut

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Like Metal Viper said- Right click an open spot of the Desktop and select "New>Shortcut." When the dialog opens, paste the path into the box that says "Type the location...." Then "Next" and "OK" until done. The shortcut will appear on the Desktop.

Since you're new to XP, you may find 'Sam' helpful: http://www.informit....dows_XP_24hours

The 'Command Line' in XP isn't exactly DOS but still much the same: http://commandwindows.com/command1.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i usually just use the old keyboard shortcut... winkey + r then type CMD in the run window

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i usually just use the old keyboard shortcut... winkey + r then type CMD in the run window

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thank you all. Problem solved! Thanks. ...wdc