Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slooooow... HP Wireless Assistant? Virus?

• Please log in to reply

KatMaks

KatMaks

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello
I am trying to diagnose an issue with a friends Compaq nx7400, running WinXP professional.
It starts up VERY slowly and seems to recover only a little bit once the HP Wireless Assistant fully loads. Even then, the system is very slow opening programs and folders and surfing the net. I've scanned with Norton, defraged, shut off some startup programs and still doesn't seem to help. My friend hasn't used her laptop in a few months due to the battery dying out, and this was the condition it was in when she restarted it. Unfortunately there are no system restore points to revert the system to... I am not sure if this issue is being caused by HP Wireless Assistant or some other issue...

I am trying to scan with Adaware now but its taking forever... any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Kat

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

KatMaks

KatMaks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks so much! Will try that first...
cute avatar.... :)

KatMaks

KatMaks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Again...
She did have a few viruses on her computer after all, and now they have been removed thanks to the help of the Malware forum....
Alas, the system is still acting super slow.... :)

I've tried clearing out some unused software, and also shutting off some start-up items, defraging, running some scans with TuneUp Utilities.... but still didn't really help to make it faster...

any other suggestions greatly appreciated!
Kat... :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The first thing that comes to mind is how much RAM does the machine have?
Norton sucks up system resources and will greatly slow down a computer that does not have enough RAM.
If you can not add memory (RAM) then you might wish to consider Avira, or Avast over Norton.
Also look for msmsg (Microsoft messenger) or ANY instant messenger service loading at start up.(they run all of the time, but do not need to run unless being used).
Does the computer connect to a printer? look for digital imaging (for HP) or other unneeded imaging software (again, does not need to run all of the time.)

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Also something i like to do is to stop things from starting in the first place and only run them when i need to.
Which can be done by going to start>run, type in msconfig go over to the startup tab and disable all or just uncheck the ones that you dont want(i have a couple i let run since i use em all the time) this makes my account on the computer start as if i just reinstalled windows.(wont help much if computer was slow to begin with though...)

Edited by zoneykid, 26 November 2008 - 01:57 AM.

KatMaks

KatMaks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks! I will try these when I get home from work and report back... yes she has Nortons, and all sorts of HP stuff on her computer which I am not sure she needs all of those... (not sure what they all do either... her computer is an HP so some of them must be essential...!)

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Actually unless she has a special HP product(like a printer or something), you dont need the hp stuff, it's just bloatware...

KatMaks

KatMaks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok... she has 987 MHz, 0.99 GB of RAM.. im not sure what it is upgradable to... the system is dual core i think? (Intel® Core™2 CPU... and t5600 @ 1.83GHz....

the system has bluetooth and used that and HP Wireless Assistant to connect to our DSL router...So i don't want to uninstall the wrong HP software and make the computer unable to use the internet...

the printer we have is a Canon... that also has alot of unnessesary software I think, and again, i don't want to disable the wrong one and make the printer/scanner not work!

is there anything that I should NOT disable in msconfig? or is it ok to disable them all and click them on again one by one to see where the conflict is?

thanks!
Kat

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
It's safe to disable all the items in the startup tab(wont screw anything up)

And if you want you can go into the services tab, hit hide all microsoft services and disable all unless it says it's critical or something you want.

Edited by zoneykid, 26 November 2008 - 09:54 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Do not disable all of the Items, and do not disable any hidden files!
You can disable one at a time and see if the computer speeds up.
Most of the stuff like the HP wireless assistant do not need to run. They are realy bloat.
If you experiance trouble connecting wireless than you can re enable it.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Read this please before you do any thing else

Edited by hfcg, 26 November 2008 - 10:07 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
This is the correct link. Looks like some BBCode got caught in the redirect. :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Yes, thank you.