Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla, IE problems following trojan attack

• Please log in to reply

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

I have been working with SpySentinel, a member of your malware staff, on this problem prior to being advised to re-post here (original thread: http://www.geekstogo...s-t216129.html).

Briefly - A trojan attack was detected by my Norton Internet Security. By all measures, the program deflected the attack and all of my logs have been clean since. However, since the initial incident six persistant errors have been noticed. First, at startup, an error message appears with the following text:

RUNDLL | Error in C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCQtime.dll Missing entry:_RunDLLEntry@16".

Followed shortly thereafter by:

dsca.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services | Application has generated an expception that could not be handled. Process id=0x4e4 (1252), Thread id=0x4ec (1260)

After that, two instances of the Download Manager open trying to find updates for Roxio Media Manager. Finally, two errors with my two browsers. When IE opens, the address bar reads "http:///" and displays the "Page cannot be found" screen but will immediately go to the homepage when asked. Similarly, Firefox's address bar reads "file:///C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/" and displays the contents of that folder but, again, will go to the homepage when asked.

I have followed some instructions from SpySentinel in preparation for this:
OTCleanIt
Disabled and Re-Enabled System Restore
Corrected some settings in IE
Installed SypwareBlaster

I really appreciate this site and it's employees. Thanks in advance for the help.

- Nick

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

I really appreciate this site and it's employees. Thanks in advance for the help.

First - We're not employees - We're volunteers.

Second - Does your computer recognize that it has a network connection? (Start=>Connect To=>Show All Connections, if the icon doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen.) I've come across malware in the past that disables a bunch of the services in Windows - TCP/IP, Network Connections, DNS Client, and DHCP Client, for example - are all services that are required to run in order to make the computer go online. If any of these are disabled, you won't have a network connection.

Ok, enough of my rambling - If you can't access the Network Connections window, go to Start=>Run and type "Services.msc" without the quotes. Then check all the services that I mentioned earlier and see if they're running. If they're not, try and start them.

Malware scans will come up clean, and still have services disabled - that's because the services themselves aren't malware, and for all the computer knows, you were the one who disabled them.

Lemme know if that helps any.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

First - We're not employees - We're volunteers.

I respect you all even more.

I checked out all of the items in services.msc and with the exception of Network Connections, which was set to manual, all of them were started and set to automatic.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
DLCQtime.dll - Related to Dell_Photo_Printer - reinstall printer driver

dsca.exe - part of Dell Support Center - your best bet is to uninstall it altogether, since it's known for causing problems

As for browsers, make sure, home page is set correctly.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK,

I managed to fix two problems. First, the DLL error has left as I uninstalled and reinstalled my printer. The dsca.exe error is gone because I opened MSCONFIG and turned it off at startup. The same for the software manager. However, the errors with IE and Mozilla are still there and I can't open NIS at all either. I have also tried many, many times to uninstall Dell Support Center, including turning off everything in the startup menu in MSCONFIG and restarting with only MS programs as well as attempting to uninstall in Safe Mode (wouldn't let me). It stalled out everytime and ALWAYS came back. This program is like a friggin' boomerang.

On a potentially unrelated note: When I was in MSCONFIG there were three instances of the Software manager in the Startup tab as well as several programs that were uninstalled monthes ago. Is is normal for old and outdated entries to exist in the Registry?

UPDATE: Printer cannot be used. The computer cannot communicate with the printer. Tried restarting, disconnecting cable, etc. Uninstall/reinstall. When you check the port that it's using, it is a virtual printer port, and when you try to look at the "Configure Port" option, it says that "An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported."

Edited by mr__roarke, 21 November 2008 - 02:30 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

This program is like a friggin' boomerang.

Yes it is. You're not the first having problems with it. Just disable all startups AND services related to Dell Support Center, and you should be OK.

Is is normal for old and outdated entries to exist in the Registry?

Short answer - yes. The best approach - uncheck msconfig entries, you're SURE, you don't need; then, leave registry entries alone; you don't want to play witn registry.

As for the printer...after uninstalling, it's very important to disconnect printer from the computer, reinstall drivers, and reconnected printer only, when asked by installation program.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok, as for the printer, I followed the instructions included on the disk and it still didn't install correctly. Then I uninstalled and tried again. And again. Not really sure why it didn't work. I have a loaner laptop from my office and the printer installed perfectly, the first time, on that system.

I've been through MSCONFIG and thought I got all of the Service and Support Center stuff but I'll check again. However, is there just a way to get rid of the damned thing rather than just having to keep it shut down? It's like locking up the dangerous beast rather than just killing it. Does it really have any good uses?

Oh, I'm on vacation at the moment, so any concrete posts about the system won't come until the 30th or later.

-Nick

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As for the printer...did you:
1. Uninstall printer
2. Turn computer, and printer off.
3. Disconnect printer from the computer.
4. Install new driver, and connect printer when installation asks for it?

As for Dell Support Center.
1. Try Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
if that doesn't work, besides checking msconfig, go Start>Run, type in:
services.msc
Click OK.
Look for any Dell Support services, stop them, and set startup type to Disabled

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey,

Ok, I've tried uninstalling/installing three times. Per your post, I did it again (just for shiggles - knowing my computer it would've worked). Still no dice. During the installation, while the installer was running, a little bubble popped up in the system tray notifing me that there was error during installation. Not sure what from. I think that maybe the computer tried to automatically install my printer and failed. Not sure. After the installation was 'complete' it asks me to print a test page. I get the following error: Can't open file 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\dlcqtest.bmp'. Fun all around

Looked in services.msc and couldn't find any entries for Dell Support Center.

Edited by mr__roarke, 30 November 2008 - 12:33 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Possibly problem with driver CD, or driver file itself. Did you try to go to Dell's site, and get the driver from there?

Advertisements

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Drivers on CD are fine. Sucessfully installed printer on a borrowed laptop first try.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it'll ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
System file checker found nada.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is your printer USB?
Does it pass self-test?
Any errors in Device Manager?

BTW

When you check the port that it's using, it is a virtual printer port, and when you try to look at the "Configure Port" option, it says that "An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported."

This is all normal.

mr__roarke

mr__roarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The printer is USB. There are no problems with Device manager - all clear.

Not sure how to check on the self test. I was able to print a test page from the printer itself.